Side Effects Internship

itriix

Hey Everyone,

I was just offered the Side Effects Houdini Artist/ Technical Internship in Santa Monica, which of course I accepted without hesitation! We all know it doesn't pay much but the experience is invaluable and to me it's truly the place I really wanted to be right now. Finding an apartment is going to be a little tricky so if anyone is reading this and needs a roommate in that area let me know! I'd like to show you my portfolio website so that those of you that are considering the internship, have some idea of what is acceptable to get the interview! My demo is at www.itriix.com. I also cut together an all Houdini extras video that I showed at my interview, that consisted of many tests and explorations, just to give an idea of the multitude of areas i've explored so far in Houdini. (When I get a little extra time, i'll put that up on my website too)...

I'll try my best to post what i'm working on and all of my experiences. To be honest, I just can't wait to get started. Also, good luck to any of the future internship candidates! I hope to see you soon. Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have about the internship or houdini in general!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Congratulations man :-), I'm currently interning with SESI in Toronto. Taking this intern-ship has been the best decision I've ever made, I can't even remember my Houdini time before the start 2 months ago. The first thing I did when I came in was sending my self an email from my new @sidefx.com address, I was so exited about it ;-).

Though as with a lot of things in life, your learning curve during the intern-ship is driven by your own motivation and persistence. You're not getting the knowledge 'for free'.

Good luck and do some awesome stuff wile you're there. Looking at your reel you've got a solid base to build on so I'm pretty sure that will work out fine :-),

Cheers,

Thanks! That's awesome dude. Yeah I was reading you're posts about you're experiences there. So congrats to you as well. I have a feeling it's one of the best decisions i've ever made too. I agree @sidefx.com is a pretty exciting address to take on! haha. As for my motivation and training, i'm going to milk everyones brain! Seriously, I intend to learn EVERYTHING I can while i'm there. For the longest time, I wanted to participate in all of the SESI classes but since I didn't live in the area, I couldn't go. I'm very excited to finally get to join in those. The other thing is, it's obvious that the people are going to be awesome since they love Houdini! I'll for sure be posting my experiences! Take care man! I hope you continue working hard while your there.

Cheers,

Jonathan

First off, Congratulations!

How did you hear about the internship?

I saw nothing posted. Or was it a while ago and I missed it.

Checked your demo - good stuff.

Looks like you've been out of school for a little bit, which is refreshing that SESI will take in people who aren't necessarily still in the academic track.

Cheers.

Can't wait to hear how the internship progresses.

I'm actually out of school for a while as well, but it's really nice to be in a learning/production environment. Because mastering Houdini isn't an easy task, that has been the motivation for me to come to Toronto. In this environment there is room to spoil a day or 2 on figuring out how something works, were there usually isn't any in production. I'm really learning like crazy here, that's the reward for climbing the learning cliff for a wile, once you get to a certain point you start to see the patterns and you're able to go faster and faster.

@Jonathan

When are you starting here in Toronto? I'm here until christmas

quinniusmaximus ~ Thanks! I will definitely keep everyone posted. I'm busy trying to relocate at the moment now. Erik_JE's response is right! The Career page under the SESI homepage are where the internships are located!

Nerox ~ I will be in the Santa Monica office. I believe that I can transfer to the Toronto office after a few months if I want to. To be honest, I could continue learning Houdini and be mighty happy! In reality though, i'll be trying to find a more permanent solution.

Thanks everyone,

Jonathan