Configuring $HIP and a project directory.

hopbin9

• 1 month later...

I tend to use the $JOB variable, my workflow/setup looks like this.

I usually create a project dir, in this folder I keep subfolders for my hip files, textures, .bgeo and so on.

ProjectX - main dir

ProjectX/hip

ProjectX/tex

ProjectX/sim

The only thing you need to do to make this work properly is set the $JOB variable in your current hipfile. I usually save my hipfile in the hip dir and than I go to edit/Aliases and Variables, there you can copy the path to your current hip file and copy it in the field next to $JOB. Next simply remove the part of the path so it points to the project root folder and you're all good to go. When you point to any texture or write to a file make sure you have the $JOB var in your path. Every file dialog has the $JOB var in the left menu bar.

The advantage of this method is that you can have a nice organized folder structure, thus when you move your project dir you only have to update your $JOB variable and you're entire setup is ready to rock :-)

Hi

I am trying this method but for some reason it does not work.

I have a hipfile in the current Houdini session, I change the $JOB variable via "Edit>Aliases and Variables". I save the scene. Then I restart Houdini and load the previous hip file. The new value that I have set for $JOB variable is not saved with the hip file.

I am guessing that I am missing a point here. Any suggestions?

thanks

Hi

I am trying this method but for some reason it does not work.

I have a hipfile in the current Houdini session, I change the $JOB variable via "Edit>Aliases and Variables". I save the scene. Then I restart Houdini and load the previous hip file. The new value that I have set for $JOB variable is not saved with the hip file.

I am guessing that I am missing a point here. Any suggestions?

thanks

That scenario works for me. If I start Houdini, edit the JOB variable, save the HIP file, restart Houdini and load that file. JOB contains the value saved in the HIP file.

You have to save the file and then open the .hip from scratch. You can't open one .hip then open another and expect the job variable to move by default. This is very important, I've screwed this up before. Render and a file directories are often set by custom variables like $JOB and $SHOT. You should ask about wrappers for opening your houdini sessions to set these things prior. Most companies have to write their own to navigate their networks, a simple one for home use shouldn't be too hard, but it also might be over kill.

You have to save the file and then open the .hip from scratch. You can't open one .hip then open another and expect the job variable to move by default. This is very important, I've screwed this up before. Render and a file directories are often set by custom variables like $JOB and $SHOT. You should ask about wrappers for opening your houdini sessions to set these things prior. Most companies have to write their own to navigate their networks, a simple one for home use shouldn't be too hard, but it also might be over kill.

Hi

thanks for the follow ups.

I thought that is what I did. I did restart Houdini and opened my saved scene with the $JOB variable.

@hopbin9

I will try testing with different drives and folders.

• 7 years later...

I think the easiest way, not taking the credibility of setting up the Houdini environment file, is to copy the path location where the new project folder will be placed then go to File/New Project, copy the path there, create a new name for the new project folder and hit accept. Pretty simple. Pre-Flight Scene is also very handy for that kind of stuff.