Image based Fracture?..

anoop

Actually, I use those gaps to my advantage for things like concrete, asphalt, etc.

Whenever objects in the real world are fractured, you lose material at the fissure. If you use the trace SOP, make sure you then fracture the "grout" material. These smaller pieces can add some nice detail.

I'm kinda a houdini newbie, but I'm curious about this and playing with ideas along this line too. Is it possible to fracture already existing geometry based on an image? I've got an .obj with its own set of UV's mapped, and a painted set of cracks on that UV set. I found the trace SOP, but it only seems to want to generate new geometry on a plane. Is there a way to fracture my existing obj based on an imaged mapped to its UV set?

Cheers!

I'm kinda a houdini newbie, but I'm curious about this and playing with ideas along this line too. Is it possible to fracture already existing geometry based on an image? I've got an .obj with its own set of UV's mapped, and a painted set of cracks on that UV set. I found the trace SOP, but it only seems to want to generate new geometry on a plane. Is there a way to fracture my existing obj based on an imaged mapped to its UV set?

have a look at this post. the attached file at the bottom is not exactly what you need but should you give some ideas.

petz

Edited by petz