Less than 14.1" form-factor laptop for H11 ?

saajjj

Hi guys,

I'm a seasoned XSI professional and am looking forward to learning Houdini :) I'm looking to purchase a laptop with a screen no more than 14.1 inches. Sadly, I can't seem to find anything decent in that form factor. The best I could find was the Lenovo ThinkPad T 401s (i5-520M 2.4GHz, 14.1" screen, nVidia NVS switchable graphics (3100m or onboard Intel), 4GB RAM, 120GB SSD). Since I plan to be learning Houdini during my endless commute I need good build quality, hence Lenovo. The one thing holding me back is that the 3100m seems to be a 'weak' card. If anyone is running H11 on this particular card, can you please verify? Any other choices?

For the curious, 14.1" is the largest screen that I can semi-comfortably work on while commuting.

If anyone has experience with running H11 on a laptop whose screen is no more than 14.1" inches, can you please recommend a brand/model?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi guys,

I'm a seasoned XSI professional and am looking forward to learning Houdini :) I'm looking to purchase a laptop with a screen no more than 14.1 inches. Sadly, I can't seem to find anything decent in that form factor. The best I could find was the Lenovo ThinkPad T 401s (i5-520M 2.4GHz, 14.1" screen, nVidia NVS switchable graphics (3100m or onboard Intel), 4GB RAM, 120GB SSD). Since I plan to be learning Houdini during my endless commute I need good build quality, hence Lenovo. The one thing holding me back is that the 3100m seems to be a 'weak' card. If anyone is running H11 on this particular card, can you please verify? Any other choices?

For the curious, 14.1" is the largest screen that I can semi-comfortably work on while commuting.

If anyone has experience with running H11 on a laptop whose screen is no more than 14.1" inches, can you please recommend a brand/model?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I just tried running H11 on a desktop with an i3 and GMA graphics. Crashed pretty quickly under Linux (graphics drivers).

I threw in an older nVidia card and H11 runs like a charm. I would stay away fromthe onboard Intel graphics if possible.

I can't speak for other O/S.

Why not go with the 13" MacBook Pro with the NVidia GeForce 320M. I'd recommend upgrading the ram to 8GB, but that should run Houdini well. I don't know if it's officially supported hardware, but Houdini does run on Mac.

Also, Alienware sells both the i5 and i7 on a 11" laptop with the NVidia GT335M GeForce. I also think their i7 model is only a few hundred more then the Lenovo i5.

Both cost more then the Lenovo, but they are brand name laptops.

On a side note, I've been using Digital Tutors to learn Houdini and they have an iPhone app so you can watch tutorials on the go. I think they are also working on an iPad version (but I wouldn't wait for it). You could also use their new Vault app to take courses with you on a laptop (very cool).

One thing I can tell you. Houdini involves a lot more processor needs then XSI because the majority of people who use it want to do simulations. So you'll be spending a lot of time waiting for a laptop to complete a task. Unlike XSI where you can do a lot of point-and-click tasks without needing a lot of CPU time. So I'd recommend an i7 as a good investment, but it will drain the battery faster. I still do some 3D modeling using a 5 year old laptop and 3ds Max 2010 while watching TV on the sofa, but I wouldn't even try to run Houdini with it. So it's just a beast of a different nature.

Have fun shopping! :)

Thanks for the replies guys.

@crunch,

I'm definitely staying away from Intel GMA, without exploring Houdini requirements I had ordered the Lenovo X201s and got bitten by the integrated card (hence this thread). That laptop is on it's way back.

@hopbin9,

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to check out the Alienware stuff. I intend to use the laptop mainly for learning Houdini and doing my XSI SDK dev stuff (Visual Studio/Python etc.) When it comes to simming, I'll probably leave that for my desktop.

In general, I've noticed that notebooks which use the i5 use the 520M and those which use the i7 use the 620LM or 640LM. In such cases the i5 is infact faster than the i7. This is ofcourse only in the case where we have an i5 xxxM against an i7 xxxLM.

Just checked out the Alienware 11", looks like it's using the i5/7 xxxUM models, i.e. ultra low voltage. AFAIK, those are pretty 'gentle'. The MBP is intersting, but I want to avoid the hassle of installing Windows on it and call different but I like my trackpad to have buttons :)

Looks like the T401s is still top choice. I have been thinking about this more, since I won't be pushing many polygons to the display, I suppose I don't really need a good graphics card. I just need something for learning purposes. In that vein, does anyone here have the nVidia NVS 3100m installed in their laptop? Does H11 work with it? I'd hate to send a second laptop back. (A Google and forum search didn't turn up any results)

Thanks again people!

I am running H10 on a Vostro 3300. It got i5 cpu and nvidia 310M and H10 runs without any problems atleast. H11 seems to be a little bit more picky with drivers and cards at the moment tho from what i have read.

I would not call the laptop very great but it gives very good performance for spent money.

EDIT: I can grab the H11 apprentice during the week and try if it works. Dont have the cash for a real upgrade at the moment.

Edited by Erik_JE

Hi Erik,

Since the 310M and 3100M are built on the same core (GT218), I would really appreciate it if you can test whether H11 Apprentice works with on your Vostro. Having gone through the forums, you're right, it does seem that H11 is a bit more picky.

Thanks very much.

You guys are talking Greek to me. I think you can't go wrong with NVidia and if it's got a big number in the name, then it's got to better.

My friend has an Alienware i7 and loves it. Says the performance is really good, and I think i7 right now is the fastest class of laptop you can get (without overclocking). I don't know if the cost of upgrading from i5 to i7 is worth it. Sometimes the difference in price doesn't justify the increase in performance. I know there is an i7 processor for laptops that costs over $1k and that's crazy.

I've heard bad things about LED displays on laptops really messing with color correctness, and the LED displays seem to always fail attempts to color correct them. To me, those screens look amazing but those contrast ratios don't translate to film/television at all. Anyway that's another topic.

p.s. buying a laptop just to learn Houdini. Must be nice! :)

Hi hopbin9,

I tend to go with 'If it's got a big number in the name, then it's usually better' :), I'm going to go ahead and attempt to explain the Greek bit

With all the various mobiles versions of the i5/i7 series, Intel has (I think) pulled a fast one. Have a look at the rather long benchmark list of CPUs on the following page:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

If you restrict the results by checking "Show only notebook CPU's", you'll notice that the i5 540M ranks 13th and the i7 640LM is at 38th position. The Alienware 11" laptop ships with either an i5 520UM or an i7 640UM, going back to the benchmark list you'll notice that the i7 640UM is ranked in 128th position. Most likely, your friend went with the 17" Alienware model which allows you to choose the i7 940XM, which ranks #1 on the list. I wish chip manufacturers would make things simpler from a consumer point of view, but I suspect there's money to be made through ambiguity.

I too have heard bad things about LEDs on laptops. It's not a big concern for me as I won't be doing any pro color related work on the laptop itself (does anyone?).

You might be pleased to know that I'm not buying the laptop exclusively for Houdini, most of my XSI plugin development work is done on the commute as well. I was due for an upgrade and thought that I might as well buy something which runs Houdini without hassle; as mentioned earlier my first idiotic approach with a blind upgrade didn't fair too well :)

Thanks again for your reply.

Edited by saajjj

Offtopic but relevant.

Anyone know how/if i can install H11 without breaking my shortcuts to H10 or if it will mess with licenses so something weird could happen to my H10 HD license.

H10 will run on H11 licenses - just not the other way around. You may need to add new shortcuts to H10 after installing H11, but that's about it. </offtopic>

If you restrict the results by checking "Show only notebook CPU's", you'll notice that the i5 540M ranks 13th and the i7 640LM is at 38th position. The Alienware 11" laptop ships with either an i5 520UM or an i7 640UM, going back to the benchmark list you'll notice that the i7 640UM is ranked in 128th position. Most likely, your friend went with the 17" Alienware model which allows you to choose the i7 940XM, which ranks #1 on the list. I wish chip manufacturers would make things simpler from a consumer point of view, but I suspect there's money to be made through ambiguity.

Wow. That is really good to know. I just assume the i7 branch of CPUs were the best, but you clearly need to be educated before buying. I'll keep that in mind if I ever go the laptop direction.

I too have heard bad things about LEDs on laptops. It's not a big concern for me as I won't be doing any pro color related work on the laptop itself (does anyone?).

Sadly, the majority of studios here in Toronto use freelancers as temp workers on projects and provide them with poor quality machines. So I've seen a lot of guys bring in their own laptops to do pro work. Given the crazy working hours they expect from people. The guys with the laptops can head home early and work at home. I do know one guy who does comp with Nuke for a feature film on his laptop.

I don't do much film work these days anyway. So it doesn't really matter. I'd love to see a laptop with a display that looks as good as the iPhone 4. That I would get :)

Sadly, the majority of studios here in Toronto use freelancers as temp workers on projects and provide them with poor quality machines. So I've seen a lot of guys bring in their own laptops to do pro work. Given the crazy working hours they expect from people. The guys with the laptops can head home early and work at home. I do know one guy who does comp with Nuke for a feature film on his laptop.

That sounds a bit sad, my experience in the UK has been much better. I get a beast of a machine accompanied by a nice Eizo display. Comping for a feature on a laptop sounds insane, may be he runs a color LUT in his head :)

Got my mobo replaced today and now i got an optimus nvidia switchable graphics instead of just regular nvidia and this does not work with linux. Big bummer. Do not know exactly what to do atm.

H10 works fine with the intel graphics but not H11. Wanted to let you know before you buy a laptop with switchable graphics.

Edited by Erik_JE

Oo! This will probably sound silly but did you try to run H11 with the nVidia chip and not the Intel one? My understanding is that although the Optimus switches automatically depending on demand; you can also force the nVidia chip to be used with whatever application you want.

Thanks for the new piece of info.

*Order on hold*

The problem is that optimus is not supported under linux. In windows there is probably no problem but i hate windows.

Atm im trying to get the open source nouveau nvidia drivers working which is said to have experimental support for optimus atleast.

EDIT:GAH cant even get dual monitor to work with the shitty intel drivers.

Edited by Erik_JE

I got sony vaio z few months ago, and i only recently managed to successfully install it. (i had problems with dual gpu and raid). I wont't go into explaining how painful and frustrating it was, but i can say it was worth. It is just amazing machine.(i7 2.66, 6gb ddr3, beautiful 13.1 inch hd screenm, 4x ssd raid, gf330 1gb) and it weighs 1.3 kg and is cheaper than SchMacBook Pro.

I got sony vaio z few months ago, and i only recently managed to successfully install it. (i had problems with dual gpu and raid). I wont't go into explaining how painful and frustrating it was, but i can say it was worth. It is just amazing machine.(i7 2.66, 6gb ddr3, beautiful 13.1 inch hd screenm, 4x ssd raid, gf330 1gb) and it weighs 1.3 kg and is cheaper than SchMacBook Pro.

When it is now working are you using a setup with proprietary nvidia drivers togheter with vga_switcheroo or do you have the luxury of being able to choose graphics card in the bios?

I am doing some evening kernel compiling here to get vga_switcheroo support. Great monday evening.