Fluid Forces/Deformation

Morbid

Hello guys,

I'm new to Houdini and I'm trying to recreate the fluid effect that is done in the Houdini 11 Sneak Peak video.

I tried to use the normals that I aligned along a tube as a force for the fluid to follow, but I'm not getting the desired result. It looks like it only taking one normal into account as a force.

At the moment I'm trying a different approach by using the popsolver but I have to figure out how I can use the geometry as a path for the particles.

Any help or tips are welcome. :)

I haven't looked at your file, but the usual approach would be to add an edge force using a point sop to your curve, and inside the pop network (popsolver inside your dop network) you use an attractor that points to the curve (anywhere after the point sop)...

Hello guys,

I'm new to Houdini and I'm trying to recreate the fluid effect that is done in the Houdini 11 Sneak Peak video.

I tried to use the normals that I aligned along a tube as a force for the fluid to follow, but I'm not getting the desired result. It looks like it only taking one normal into account as a force.

At the moment I'm trying a different approach by using the popsolver but I have to figure out how I can use the geometry as a path for the particles.

Any help or tips are welcome. :)

Hi,Morbid

Check the example shipped with houdini called PopFlow which demonstrate how to make particle fluid follow a curve and should be what you were looking for.

cheers

Thnx, I tried both solutions, a combination seems to have the best effect, so radial and edge force. With only radial the fluid does not always go in the correct direction of the curve and with only edge for the fluid does not follow the curve accurate enough. Still, it is not the desired effect that I want. The example in the sneak peak movie (1:00-1:16) seems more controlled, looks like the geometry serves a a bounding box and also as a force, instead of a curve, I'm not sure.

I'm releasing the fluid now just by manually setting the activation of the attractor and drag.

Any feedback or new approaches are welcome, I will keep playing with it.

Here is my updated file if you want to take a look.

flipdeformtest_v2.hipnc