Firebomb

Houdini_VFX

Hi,

I'm showing you a personal project I'm working on.

It's a firebomb crash inspired to 2012 movie.

I've taken the background movie with a 550D camera and I've matched that. Next I've started to

work on the simulation.

Here's a flipbook preview from the Houdini viewport, with a low res container(70 res), but

the upres container is 500 subdivision(I use it only for the final render).

See you soon with new update!

http://www.vimeo.com/16797140

Edited by Houdini_VFX

Well, anyway 48h for simming and rendering a fluid container with the max sampling@300 is really too much. Are you using raytrace shadows by any chance? Which part took longer? Rendering or simming?

Sim times: 2 hours.

Rendering times: 46 hours :( for 720 HD.I'm using raytrace shadows...Do you think I'll speed up the rendering with Dept Maps?

It seems very fast now! Thank you again, I'm not expert in lighting/shading.

One question:

I don't notice the advantages on writing out simulation files at the end of AutoDopNetwork. It seems that the time to read the simulation from disk is greater or very simular to the time to simulate! Any suggestions or workaround?

thanks in advance

That looks much better. Still, 8 hours is too much for that kind of sim.

Are you doing an upres of a lowres sim ?

Also try resizing your fluid container, that will save you a lot of sim time.

have a look here :

Thanks!

I'm using upres sim.

I haven't try to resize the fluid container yet becaus my smoke float around the entire area of the container and

there's another emitter below the terrain that activates himself a few frame before the impact so i thinked that

a resizing container wouldn't help me too much...Maybe i'm wrong!

Thanks!

Resizing always helps, at least that would speed up the beginning of the sim :)

You should try splitting your sim in 2 containers. One for the "tail" and one for the impact. That way you can tweak each sim separately without having to re-sim all and it's faster to simulate too :P

Thanks!

I'm using upres sim.

I haven't try to resize the fluid container yet becaus my smoke float around the entire area of the container and

there's another emitter below the terrain that activates himself a few frame before the impact so i thinked that

a resizing container wouldn't help me too much...Maybe i'm wrong!

Thanks!

Resizing always helps, at least that would speed up the beginning of the sim :)

You should try splitting your sim in 2 containers. One for the "tail" and one for the impact. That way you can tweak each sim separately without having to re-sim all and it's faster to simulate too :P

Thanks for the suggestions man! ;-)

well you only really need to save out the whole dop network if u are using multiple elements from the sim, else you should just use a ROP output driver from the dop import in sops, or use the built-in one on the Dop I/O node thats generated from the shelf tools. That way, the only data you have to read are the fields required for rendering, eg density/heat/rest/etc

Edited by ikarus

well you only really need to save out the whole dop network if u are using multiple elements from the sim, else you should just use a ROP output driver from the dop import in sops, or use the built-in one on the Dop I/O node thats generated from the shelf tools. That way, the only data you have to read are the fields required for rendering, eg density/heat/rest/etc

Thank you a lot!Great suggestion!