network render texture location problem

carl

I think I'm going go insane.

I'm having trouble with network render. I have setup my scene and I'm using mantra -H rendernode1 to test render my scene. However, rendernode1 cannot see the texture maps, my renders are coming red. I have tried $HIP and $JOB to change the locations of texture nodes. I have tried using hard coded locations such as //COMPUTER1/files/texturename.jpg \\COMPUTER1\files\texturename.jpeg in color map option of the shaders. Houdini at rendernodes cannot see the textures.

Every computer can access each other. This is not a new network. All machines have WinXp installed. I have spend the last hour trying to fix this. I would appreciate any help.

using latest stable build, 11.0.547

Make sure that sesi's service called "hserver" (Houdini Server) has access to the location (on every machine you intend to use). This service should be started with admin account (or some user with similar privileges).

Well, at least theoretically, but I've never tried to use -H on Windows machines :(

hth,

skk.

thank you guys for the replies

Make sure that sesi's service called "hserver" (Houdini Server) has access to the location (on every machine you intend to use). This service should be started with admin account (or some user with similar privileges).

Well, at least theoretically, but I've never tried to use -H on Windows machines :(

hth,

skk.

I double checked. They are started as admin processes. Also there is no user besides admin on rendernodes.

I'm pretty sure you are using hostnames instead of explicit IP address in the texture paths. If so I'm afraid on xp only //machineIP/path - approach will work. Did you have a look here as well:

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/MantraRemoteRendering

hope that helps

kuba

I tried //MachineIP approach. It's still not working. I'm starting to wonder if this feature is broken.

$JOB variable: //192.168.1.100/files/

color map location : $JOB/file.jpg

I don't want to dabble with network shares but this leaves me no choice.

Edited by carl