Maya Film Offset vs Houdini Screen Window X/Y

Jim Su

Hello all! It's been a while since I've been on this board...

Maya Film Offset is in inches. What unit is Houdini Screen Window X/Y in?

I re-jigged the houdini stereo camera to read in animation from Maya. When off-axis stereo was turned on, it read the film offset from Maya 1:1 and this went undetected for a few major projects! Now we are faced with rendering images in Houdini that have to line up with Maya renders.... :(

Jim

• 6 months later...

If anyone's interested, the conversion from Maya Film Offset to Houdini Window X/Y is standard rate of .616302. Still not sure about what units Houdini is but this seems to work.

Jim

I need to correct myself!

Maya Horiz Film Offset = Houdini Window X / Maya Horizontal Aperture

• 2 months later...

I need to correct myself!

Maya Horiz Film Offset = Houdini Window X / Maya Horizontal Aperture

Thanks Jim, I was wondering if this still applies when both the mayaHorizFilmOffset and MayaHorizAperture are in inches but the sceneUnits in houdini are meant to be interpreted as centimeters.

In order words in what units is windowsX interpreted in houdini?

Thanks!

misterP

• 4 months later...

Thanks Jim, I was wondering if this still applies when both the mayaHorizFilmOffset and MayaHorizAperture are in inches but the sceneUnits in houdini are meant to be interpreted as centimeters.

In order words in what units is windowsX interpreted in houdini?

Thanks!

misterP

Sorry for the REALLY late reply misterP. First of all, Grade 9 math fail! Sorry! Screen Window X = Maya Horiz Film Offset / Maya Horizontal Aperture. Carry over the fraction, yada yada.... Maya Horiz Film Offset = Houdini Window X * Maya Horizontal Aperture.

I'm working with the Screen Window in inches which are independent of scene units. If you were to use cm (which I'm not sure you can. Anybody?) then multiply 2.54 to the Screen Window X.

Jim

Edited by Jim Su