Randomizing point positions via CHOPS?

kursad

Hi

For a test I am trying to randomize point positons of an object inside CHOPS. I am using the Geometry CHOPS to bring the object into(with default variables and scopes) the CHOPS. I then plug that into the noise operator. In the noise operator I put "$C" or "$I" into the seed channel to generate different seed per point. But it does not seem to work at all. I can add noise if I free the Noise operator from the Geometry operator and use a Math node, but that naturally applies the same noise value to all points at all frames.

I also loose the noise operator`s ability to generate noise if I choose the "animated" option in the Geometry CHOPS.

thanks

Does this help in any way?

If you wanted that to stick to the surface I guess using a channel with point id might do the trick.

Hi

Thanks for the file Macha, yes that is kind of what I am after. The weird thing is that I thought that this was what I also have dine and it was not working. I might have chosen a different noise field. My file is not in front of me now, I will compare them when I get a chance.

Btw how come the "animated" channel in the Geometry CHOPS breakes this rig?

Btw how come the "animated" channel in the Geometry CHOPS breakes this rig?

you will need to create the same channels on Noise CHOP as coming from you geometry

so if you have animated geometry there will be tx0, tx1, tx2, ..., txN ty0, ty1, ty2, ..., tyN, tz0, tz1, tz2, ..., tzN

where N is the maximum point number

but as input for Noise CHOP use either static geometry or none

so to create the same channels in Noise CHOP you'll need to put something like this in channel name (for 100 points)

t[xyz][0-99]

or of course to be procedural

t[xyz][0-`npoints("../../torus1")-1`]

then you can add those channels to channels from animated geometry with Math CHOP

Edited by anim

so to create the same channels in Noise CHOP you'll need to put something like this in channel name (for 100 points)

t[xyz][0-99]

or of course to be procedural

t[xyz][0-`npoints("../../torus1")-1`]

then you can add those channels to channels from animated geometry with Math CHOP

anim,

Thanks for this gem. I was not aware of the channel naming convention in that respect.

Edited by kursad