mantra renderer is confusing me ......

.... or do I miss something?

I had started to duplicate a simple studio setup which I normally use in modo or cinema 4d.

The scene file I have provided is not complete, it's missing the right blue "light.

But what confuses me is that I get so much noise. I tried it with area lights, constant material to the grid and finally the geo light.

So, must I wait one day for a smooth result ? :-)

Thanks

studio_setup.hipnc

Your initial sampling rate on the geolight was way to high. Altbighead reduced it to 4 in his version. You can usually reduce PBR-noise by setting the Min-Ray-Samples of Mantra to 4 and get up with the Pixel Samples (I never need more than 12 to 24 Pixel Samples to get nice Images). Nice Studio-Setup by the way...

I like the first one. Very nice setup. It took me 3 minutes to render that with an i7 950. What are you running?

Xeon X5650 x 2 physical processor so I think 12 cores and 24GB RAM.

Ohh yh forgot to comment on the hip file.sampling on light is way too high also

one of the light has normalized turned on with way too high light intensity.

Your initial sampling rate on the geolight was way to high. Altbighead reduced it to 4 in his version. You can usually reduce PBR-noise by setting the Min-Ray-Samples of Mantra to 4 and get up with the Pixel Samples (I never need more than 12 to 24 Pixel Samples to get nice Images). Nice Studio-Setup by the way...

so what is the difference between pixel sample and ray sample, I mean not only concerning pbr

so, that's nearly the final stage.

I have reduced the diffuse amount of the wall and added specularity to catch the colors from the geo light.

The beveling must be tweaked because you can see it where it begins and where it ends, there is a thin line. So I have to adjust the normals.

The rendering must be tweaked because the rendering time even I raised up the resolution is to high right now.

post-4077-129442066397_thumb.jpg

studio_setup.hipnc

So, it's done right now but I think that there are different approaches with the settings (pixel sample / ray sample / noise level / sampling on the light) as I studied the different file from you guys.

But I hope it is not so hard to understand and maybe someone can explain me it a little deep further.

I think my settings are not perfect concerning speed (19 min) but I wanted a high amount of quality in the picture. Maybe I can combine it with a gi photon but I have no idea if this helps to speed up render time. Feel free to give me tips if you can.

Thanks

studio_setup.hipnc

post-4077-129444134253_thumb.jpg