crack map question

sparkChan

hi, I have a crack caches which create the inside faces dynamically as the below pictures:

post-5194-129584011804_thumb.jpg post-5194-129584013032_thumb.jpg

but when I assigned a noise material to them and rendered, I found the noise map changed every frame.

Is there any idea to keep the noise map unchanged.

thanks for all.

Your points and your uvs are constantly changing so doing something such as setting your texture space to UV or object will not work. I'm sure there is another hack(try cubic projection), but one that does work is to have your object completely pre-broken and uved and faceted before you destroy it. This way the points, and uvs do not constantly change. Also by placing your facet at the very end, so point normal do not change your object space(assign the texture and watch as the texture slides as the point normals update).

crack_map_update.hip

This one method using the vornoi fracture should work for this application, since it gives unique UVs to all the sides, but theoretically you should be able to just do a XY-ZY projection to set some crappy UVs and with a procedural texture to texture space, or even object with out constantly updating point normals. If you adjust these thing before your sim cache you should be fine. This exact method I have above will not work on a sphere, but it should give you the idea.

I'm guessing this is just a test case, but if your are going to break bricks-stones use a trace sop to create a fracture pattern based on the cement lines, it is more realistic(to crack along cement lines) and easier to texture since it is one material. A couple bricks-stones may crack in reality, but once you add dust nobody can tell too much. Unless it's suppose to be ultra destructive.

Your points and your uvs are constantly changing so doing something such as setting your texture space to UV or object will not work. I'm sure there is another hack(try cubic projection), but one that does work is to have your object completely pre-broken and uved and faceted before you destroy it. This way the points, and uvs do not constantly change. Also by placing your facet at the very end, so point normal do not change your object space(assign the texture and watch as the texture slides as the point normals update).

crack_map_update.hip

This one method using the vornoi fracture should work for this application, since it gives unique UVs to all the sides, but theoretically you should be able to just do a XY-ZY projection to set some crappy UVs and with a procedural texture to texture space, or even object with out constantly updating point normals. If you adjust these thing before your sim cache you should be fine. This exact method I have above will not work on a sphere, but it should give you the idea.

I'm guessing this is just a test case, but if your are going to break bricks-stones use a trace sop to create a fracture pattern based on the cement lines, it is more realistic(to crack along cement lines) and easier to texture since it is one material. A couple bricks-stones may crack in reality, but once you add dust nobody can tell too much. Unless it's suppose to be ultra destructive.

hi, Ben, thanks for your reply.

I used blastcode to fracture the ground, In houdini, I don't know how to use a map to fracture my ground, although I can use trace sop to do the trick, the result is not what I want.

Do you think is there any method to do the thing.

hi, Ben, thanks for your reply.

I used blastcode to fracture the ground, In houdini, I don't know how to use a map to fracture my ground, although I can use trace sop to do the trick, the result is not what I want.

Do you think is there any method to do the thing.

Here is A method using the trace sop. It def ain't the best, but it should give you a slightly fuller idea to go on with this one method. Search the forums there def a bunch more ways to break the stuff in houdini, to keep it all in the family. An alternative is that Sesi is teaching a class on breaking, if you can't go which most people can't, harass them to release the recorded lectures that will help a lot more.

post-5070-129594338449_thumb.jpg

crack_map_update_v2.hip

post-5070-12959434115_thumb.jpg

post-5070-129594343082_thumb.jpg