Animating a crack up a wall in houdini

m89

Hi guys,

I am currently working on a FX project at university and have hit a wall when it comes to animating the crack. The method i decided to was to pre- fracture the object (currently a grid for tests) using Voronoi shatter and then isolating each piece and emitting a particle from each piece. Then attaching the geometry piece to the particle and using a force to manipulate the movement of the particles, which affect the fractured geometry.

The main problem i have found is in the connectivity of the piece as only some of the primitives are affected by the particles so there is a wierd affect going on here. In a newer version i changed it to points, but later on there are different issues with moving the translated pieces back to their grid for the final effect.

I have attached a test of it, the particles and everything seem to working apart from the individual pieces being moved. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

To animate a crack up a wall use the l-system. Use a Project SOP to project the points onto a Grid, then animate the generation of the l-system to make it grow. The l-system comes with a prefined cracked pattern (under the gear menu).

You can then emit particles from the last points of the l-system to project bits out of the tip of the cracks are it grows.

You might need to exclude and cookie a box using the l-system to create a solid wall that is breaking up.

p.s. You didn't have an attached.

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking with particles emitting from the last point in the l-system.

would a boolean operation can be responsible to produce cracks in different surfaces from a simple sphere to a modelled obj

• 2 weeks later...

Cracking with particles emitting from the last point in the l-system.

Hi thats awesome! that was my next task. I was wondering with using the L-system is there a way of keeping the animation, but changing the shape of the crack? Every time I change the the L-system shape the animated crack stops.

Also I have looked at another way of cracking, this is the version someone sent me, which i have been trying to tweak, but when adding a new crack.bgeo the lattice and spring doesn't work. The lattice says the geometry is unmatched. Im not sure what i am missing. Would be great if you could take a look.

Thanks

m89

cracks.zip

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi thats awesome! that was my next task. I was wondering with using the L-system is there a way of keeping the animation, but changing the shape of the crack? Every time I change the the L-system shape the animated crack stops.

Also I have looked at another way of cracking, this is the version someone sent me, which i have been trying to tweak, but when adding a new crack.bgeo the lattice and spring doesn't work. The lattice says the geometry is unmatched. Im not sure what i am missing. Would be great if you could take a look.

Thanks

m89

did you ever find a solution to this? i would like to use a custom curve to guide the crack with this system but cant get it to work