Align tool

blonde

Hi guys, i've some issues regarding the Move align tool , it can be set to object , world or view . But what if i've modified my start object with some polyextrude and edit ? How can align the tool to the new position of my object? and there is a way to eliminate all the nodes generated after each extrusion or edit, like a freeze or delete history of maya, so that i've only one new node? I know that i can export a bgeo to a file and call it again, it's the only solution? Thanks.

post-6404-129765304351_thumb.png

.. and there is a way to eliminate all the nodes generated after each extrusion or edit, like a freeze or delete history of maya, so that i've only one new node? I know that i can export a bgeo to a file and call it again, it's the only solution? Thanks.

If you can come up with a valid reason to do this, I'm pretty sure there is some willing to explain how to do that, (it's rather simpel :P). Never the less, have you put any thought on why you would like to do that? The point of Houdini is that it's procedural and therefore there is no need for a history, which needs to be eliminated because it causes more trouble than is does good. Look at Houdini's node base system as writing a recipe, but one with a special cook, who cooks the meal over and over again every time you change a ingredient. You can alway's go back, easily drive stuff with other stuff and use that result for something else, how need is that?

If you're pointing at making you network easier to read, you can color nodes (c in the network editor), use netboxes (select nodes and press ctrl + n) or collapse nodes in to subnets (ctrl+c). On top of that there is a cache node and the Rop Output driver which can export bgeo's and you use the file SOP to read them back in.

Hi guys, i've some issues regarding the Move align tool , it can be set to object , world or view . But what if i've modified my start object with some polyextrude and edit ? How can align the tool to the new position of my object?

In this particular case I can see why you would like to do that, never the less I'm not sure if you can rotate the handle, I guess not. I would suggest to do it the other way around, you can add a transform SOP and align the geometry with the objects orientation. From Houdini's point of view you're never able to solve the orientation, because how would you auto orient it for a slightly deformed sphere for instance?

There are 2 options, when RMB clicking in the viewport on a handle on transfrom/edit sop, worth checking. These are 'detach handle' which gives you an option to temporarily detach and move transformation handle from the pivot from the selection. The other is 'start orientation picking' which does the same plus aligns handle to a new plane.

To freeze geometry just lock the node. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Kuba

There are 2 options, when RMB clicking in the viewport on a handle on transfrom/edit sop, worth checking. These are 'detach handle' which gives you an option to temporarily detach and move transformation handle from the pivot from the selection. The other is 'start orientation picking' which does the same plus aligns handle to a new plane.

To freeze geometry just lock the node. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Kuba

Cool! It actually works :P. So first you select the object, in the RMB menu uncheck "Attach to Geometry" or press the ' button and then in the RMB menu under align you select: "Start Orientation Picking". Now you have to select and edge you would like the handle to be aligned to, next you need to select a second edge in the same plane to finalise the alignment.

Without unchecking the "Attach to Geometry" you can use this method to snap and align an object to any face.

Ohh, thanks kubabuk & Nerox....that's really help me :D . I know the houdini way of proceduralism, but sometimes during modeling you are satisfied with your mesh and you dont want come back to tweak your nodes again, and then i was afraid that more nodes can take more ram memory and make the scene heavy....'cause i've to push the maya way out of my mind (after 10 years...)...

yes now the align tool works as expected, make it easy extrude the polygons along their face normals. Thanks again!