Difference between Partition and Group?

Hello

Trying to understand based on the help card, but having a hard time...What is the difference between the Partition SOP and the Group SOP? It seems like the main feature of Partition is that it allows to create rules, but isn't can't you do that with Group too?

Thanks!

Alex

Hey Alex,

The Partition SOP is kinda like a foreach for groups - it will loop over your input and spew out groups based on your rules.

So it's a nifty way of very quickly setting up groups which can be a massive time saver.

For example, if you have geometry that has a colour attribute on either your points or prims, the partition SOP can create a group for each colour on your geo.

This can be especially handy when fracturing geo, or when working with large meshes coming from other packages that need to be modified.

Hope that helps!

Matt.

Edited by Matt_K

Partition SOP is an efficient way to build many groups from attributes.

The regular Group SOP can only build max 2 groups. One in the Create tab and one in the Combine tab. You need to wrap the Group SOP in to a ForEach SOP to get the same functionality as the Partition SOP.

Where do I use Partition SOP?

- Creating connectivity based groups procedurally from imported models after a Connectivity SOP.

- Creating multiple groups from particle attributes after a simulation.

- Mimicking the Group POP's ability to create random point groups. foo_`int($PT%10)`

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Using the Partition SOP to create random/multiple point groups works really well for me, but I'm actually struggling wrapping the Group SOP into a ForEach SOP, just to test what kind of selection control I could achieve.

How would it actually work?

Thanks,

Y