Breaking a wall based on tension?

Annon

Hey everyone,

I'm after a swelling wall that starts to crack from expanding too much before breaking apart. I've already started getting somewhere close, but I'd be interested to see how others would approach this effect. Would you break the geo before? Use Voronoi? Glue Constraints that break at a certain strength etc...

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Thank you

Christian

There are a lot of ways to do it, some with more control than others. It also depends a lot on what the force is against the wall. For example if the force against the wall is a fluid building up, the overall mass of the fluid could be used to trigger a magnet force that breaks the wall rather than relying on the actual dynamic forces (gives more control). Breaking ahead of time versus dynamic fracturing depends on how much control you need. If the cracks need to form in very specific and art directed ways/places then dynamic fracturing might be too random.

Thanks for your advice.

It's more like a vortex ball instide the building pushing it out. I could literally just use a sphere to expang the inside etc. Dynamic fracturing would be too random in this case. I'd prefer to pre-crack, then work with constraints that break as the sphere bulges and gets bigger.

Was just curious how others would approach it.