ocean shader

Benyee

I've attached a quick example file. The resulting render is not that pretty, but should give you an idea of how to start adding foam to the peaks of waves.

In terms of finding example this is awesome but not creates using HOT, but might give you some ideas as to how to go about it.

nice method,always need some random style for the foam pattern,i am trying out this with worleynoise.thanks.

With HOT tool to make ocean,how to impliment foam effect around peak area of ocean surface in shading context?Can anyone give some threads or examples?Thanks.

You must extract the Eigenvalues (jminus) which is a float. This value is clamped between -1000 and 0, then it's negated.

You would add a subtract node to this value to increase the width of the foamcaps. foam is the attribute that's in the example file that comes with hotocean, take a look there... you need to create a parameter in your vex surface to bring that in.. then you would use an add (not the best way, you would want to layer this because the foam will be too bright and some of the ocean color will be added to it) to add to your lightning model and reflection maps, however you set it up. I have to thank Mocha for helping me out with this. Basically it's shading points that meet a certain value e.g. foam > .5, that could drive the POP.. again that's in the example...

You must extract the Eigenvalues (jminus) which is a float. This value is clamped between -1000 and 0, then it's negated.

You would add a subtract node to this value to increase the width of the foamcaps. foam is the attribute that's in the example file that comes with hotocean, take a look there... you need to create a parameter in your vex surface to bring that in.. then you would use an add (not the best way, you would want to layer this because the foam will be too bright and some of the ocean color will be added to it) to add to your lightning model and reflection maps, however you set it up. I have to thank Mocha for helping me out with this. Basically it's shading points that meet a certain value e.g. foam > .5, that could drive the POP.. again that's in the example...

I use the original Eigenvalues directly in sops with a litte fitrange,then create a attribute from the new value for foam particle source and shading whitecap.Thanks.By the way,i need a version of HOT for H11.0.658 windows X64,where can i find it?

I use the original Eigenvalues directly in sops with a litte fitrange,then create a attribute from the new value for foam particle source and shading whitecap.Thanks.By the way,i need a version of HOT for H11.0.658 windows X64,where can i find it?

Here's what I come with so far at the studio... I just started using Houdini about 3 weeks ago. But since I familiar with Maya, Renderman.. and help from others on this forum, I'm picking it up. Had to create custom VOP Shaders though and or VEX Shaders. I used a custom SOP for the first ocean, that one isn't Hot Ocean, the last one is. :)

• 1 month later...

Which version of linux are you using? I've compiled hot on both Debian and Ubuntu (x64) without any problems or having to modify the makefile or anything (got stumped with Fedora due to it having gcc from the future). Since you didn't specify what you're compiling it for below are my somewhat old notes for compiling HOT on ubuntu.

Dependencies:

- build-essential

- libglu1-mesa-devi

- libfftw3-dev

- csh

- libxi-dev

Installation

cd <hotsourcedir>

cd src/3rdparty

./build_linux.sh

cd ..

python setup.py bdist

Much of this is from the HOT documentation here

As the installed GCC has to match the Houdini version you might find Peter Claes instructions for setting up the hdk here useful.

Edited by jujoje

Which version of linux are you using? I've compiled hot on both Debian and Ubuntu (x64) without any problems or having to modify the makefile or anything (got stumped with Fedora due to it having gcc from the future). Since you didn't specify what you're compiling it for below are my somewhat old notes for compiling HOT on ubuntu.

Dependencies:

- build-essential

- libglu1-mesa-devi

- libfftw3-dev

- csh

- libxi-dev

Installation

cd <hotsourcedir>

cd src/3rdparty

./build_linux.sh

cd ..

python setup.py bdist

Much of this is from the HOT documentation here

As the installed GCC has to match the Houdini version you might find Peter Claes instructions for setting up the hdk here useful.

Thanks,I have compiled it successfully,but my icons are lossing...first ./build_linux.sh,then cd..,make

Ubuntu x64

Edited by Benyee

• 3 weeks later...