how to find out if there's other geometry intersecting with the li

oat

Since this is Houdini we're talking about, there's probably a million ways to do it all of which are correct. I'd use an Add SOP to make a line between the two points, use the Resample SOP to make a bunch of points between the two, use an Attribute Transfer SOP and Attribute Create SOP to transfer whatever attribute you want onto potential objects in between, then lastly use Attribute Promote SOP (and maybe a For Each SOP) to push the point attribute to groups or whatever is needed. Also useful might be the Ray SOP which is a completely different way of solving the problem.

Edited by lukeiamyourfather

My first thought would be to test using some sort of ray. In the attached file there are two examples of using the Ray SOP or a VOP SOP using Intersect. A vector is computed from pt0 to pt1 and is used as the ray direction. In the case of the Ray SOP, if the dist point attr is > 0 then there is something in the way. In the case of the VOP setup if the hit attr is not -1 then there has been a collision.

ray_test_intersections.hip

My first thought would be to test using some sort of ray. In the attached file there are two examples of using the Ray SOP or a VOP SOP using Intersect. A vector is computed from pt0 to pt1 and is used as the ray direction. In the case of the Ray SOP, if the dist point attr is > 0 then there is something in the way. In the case of the VOP setup if the hit attr is not -1 then there has been a collision.

dear graham, thanks a lot!

will take some time to digest the approach you suggested.

dear graham, thank you very much!

It seems the "ray" method works fine, but the pure VOP SOP method doesn't work in certain situation as shown in the attached hip file.

In the hip file one of the point is inside a box but the dist value obtained is zero.

can you kindly help to take a look and suggest a solution?

BTW, tamte posted almost the same method as yours in the Houdini apprentice forum for the same question I post here:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=101656#101656

Thank you in advance!

post-5328-130037192301_thumb.png

Edited by oat

Sorry, that is my bad. The VOP SOP method works fine, however the Ray SOP doesn't. I accidentally left an incorrect value for the Max Ray Dist. It should be length($NX, $NY, $NZ) instead of just $NX.

Attached is the VOP method wrapped in an asset. It provides a more straight forward boolean as to whether or not an intersection exists, as well as a bit more information about any intersection that might be occurring.

sop_lineintersection.otl