rotations, particles, transition to velocity directions

itriix

Hello all

Right now i'm a bit brain dead on rotations, particles and having a transition from a rotation to a different rotation. I'm attaching an example. It's a bit messy because it has quite a few failed attempts tossed around. Imagine a vine, swinging around in the wind. Attached to the vine are some arrows, that are dangling around like leaves in the wind, rotating and swinging as the vine swings... After a certain magnitude has been reached *calculated from the velocity of the vines*, I want the arrows to release from the vine, and then begin a "new" rotation, towards their flight velocity direction... rotating essentially from their "swinging" rotation, to their velocity direction!

I originally was able to get this mostly accomplished using copy stamping, and using some stamp parameters in the rotation channel... however, i will not be "copy stamping" in the end, but instead delayed loading. Therefore, I need to get the "orient" or rotation actually occuring on the points.

Please if you have any ideas, that would be fantastic. You will also notice, in my vopsop, where i was attempting to get some rotations to occur, that I only have it happening for one axis! I was a bit lost on how to get it for multiple axis at the same time!

Cheers,

Jonathan

arrows_take_off_from_some_vines5.hip

Hello all

Right now i'm a bit brain dead on rotations, particles and having a transition from a rotation to a different rotation. I'm attaching an example. It's a bit messy because it has quite a few failed attempts tossed around. Imagine a vine, swinging around in the wind. Attached to the vine are some arrows, that are dangling around like leaves in the wind, rotating and swinging as the vine swings... After a certain magnitude has been reached *calculated from the velocity of the vines*, I want the arrows to release from the vine, and then begin a "new" rotation, towards their flight velocity direction... rotating essentially from their "swinging" rotation, to their velocity direction!

I originally was able to get this mostly accomplished using copy stamping, and using some stamp parameters in the rotation channel... however, i will not be "copy stamping" in the end, but instead delayed loading. Therefore, I need to get the "orient" or rotation actually occuring on the points.

Please if you have any ideas, that would be fantastic. You will also notice, in my vopsop, where i was attempting to get some rotations to occur, that I only have it happening for one axis! I was a bit lost on how to get it for multiple axis at the same time!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Hey

I didnt have a chance to take a look at your file, but here is a link on the math to get the angle between two direction vectors.

http://www.euclideanspace.com/maths/algebra/vectors/angleBetween/index.htm

Basically, the two important bits is this to get the angle and axis

angle = acos(v1•v2)

axis = norm(v1 x v2)

Ive attached a file which will rotate a Normal from its current direction to a destination direction. Theres a "Mix" parameter which rotates it from current to destination.

Hope this helps.

rotateN_001sl.hip

Thanks! That did the trick with some modifications. I still would like to learn more about matrix rotations and quaternions. I was trying to do this with that kind of an approach but was stuck. Some day when I get time, i'd like to study the whole rotation thing a bit more. It seems very essential. I just wasn't sure about the math.

Anyways, Thanks again!

Cheers,

Jonathan