Nightcrawler effect - Teleportation?

chiess

Hi,

I am really new in the area about particles and doing some tests right now and recently I saw a nice effect in X-men 2 - the teleportation of Nightcrawler. I was wondering what methods did they use to achieve such an effect? Someone told me that this effect seems to be quite easy and quickly done, but unfortunately not how. Are these advected particles? Multiple emiters with specific force settings? spline following particles? Any advice in which direction I should go to achieve this kind of effect would be great! Since I don't know how this effect can be done, I was not really sure for what exactly I should look after. So sorry if there is already a thread about exactly the same effect. Any link would be much appreciated!

A youtube link as reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfPiiDBZiFE

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by chiess

Hi,

I am really new in the area about particles and doing some tests right now and recently I saw a nice effect in X-men 2 - the teleportation of Nightcrawler. I was wondering what methods did they use to achieve such an effect? Someone told me that this effect seems to be quite easy and quickly done, but unfortunately not how. Are these advected particles? Multiple emiters with specific force settings? spline following particles? Any advice in which direction I should go to achieve this kind of effect would be great! Since I don't know how this effect can be done, I was not really sure for what exactly I should look after. So sorry if there is already a thread about exactly the same effect. Any link would be much appreciated!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KfPiiDBZiFE

Cheers,

Chris

there's a very nice old thread on that

BAMF effect

there's even sample hip files for you to explore

Cheers!

hi varomix,

Thanks for the very helpful link!

I downloaded the example files from the other thread and tried to understand how it works. Unfortunately in all examples they are using embedded digital assets (like a bamf_noise vex node). I saved it out as .otl file and imported the asset in another scene, but to understand how it works, it would be great if it is somehow possible to go inside this node and see the network tree? I can open the operator type properties and see what nodes? are inside this vex operator but don't see how they are connected with each other. I am not sure if this is possible with a vex node? Then I am wondering how you can create such vex digital assets?

cheers!

yeah this works if the vex node is on geometry level, but this kind of VEX node is in a popnet where I don't have the choice to edit the vex node. I can get to the "Edit operator type properties" and can look at the code and parameters so I am wondering if this digital asset vex nodes just existed in a previous houdini version or if they just were scripted?

I attached an example .otl (aanoise vex node) which I extracted from 3dbeing's example file.

Even in other examples are different vex nodes which I want to explore a bit more in depth than just playing around with the parameters - would be great if it is possible.

Cheers!

right click on the node an select edit VEX or VOP network, at the bottom and you get into it

Cheers

aanoise_export.otl

yeah this works if the vex node is on geometry level, but this kind of VEX node is in a popnet where I don't have the choice to edit the vex node. I can get to the "Edit operator type properties" and can look at the code and parameters so I am wondering if this digital asset vex nodes just existed in a previous houdini version or if they just were scripted?

I attached an example .otl (aanoise vex node) which I extracted from 3dbeing's example file.

Even in other examples are different vex nodes which I want to explore a bit more in depth than just playing around with the parameters - would be great if it is possible.

Cheers!

On the code tab of the vex node is the code. After looking at the code it seems that if you want to recreate the node in VOPS, its just an anti aliased noise VOP added to "v".

thanks SpencerL!

so I think back then Houdini did not have a vop network and many things had to be hardcoded?

however, I am playing around with the voppop network right now... seems like it is really powerful

• 1 month later...

Hi,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfPiiDBZiFE

Cheers,

Chris

Take it frame-by-frame and will you discover many compositing tricks used - not necessary to get overloaded using all sims and particles - tons of blur and bloom..