Python the Copy SOP and Font SOP

MVB

Hello,

Here's an example of the Python code which is being stamped.

import random
x = ['2', 4, 8, 1, 'fubar', '2&1', 1.1]
return random.choice(x)

However once it is stamped into the text parameter of a Font SOP it only outputs the float/integer items and not the strings in the list.

Is it something to do with the Copy SOP's 'val1' parameter being a float?

Basically I need to randomly select items from an externally created list of varying length and stamp those items onto points particles etc...

Can anybody please point out the obvious for me? Cheers!

I've attached my .hip

example_mvb.hip

As you mentioned, your main problem is that you are trying to return strings and numbers in a float parameter.

The proper solution would be to just have the stamp variable value as $PT from the input points and then stamp from the Text parm on your Font SOP. This method doesn't care if you are returning strings or numbers.

Another issue is that you are just using a pure random generator without any sort of seeding. This results in purely random results every time you cook so there's no continuity. In the attached file I use the $PT stamp var to drive ramdon.seed() so I get randomness but maintain the randomness every cook.

Alternatively you could instead use the standard Houdini randomization, hou.hmath.rand() using the stamp value and then multiply and convert to int accordingly to get the correct range of values.

example_mvb.hip