Mantra color space gamma

Regardless of whether I set the Color Space to Linear or Gamma 2.2, mantra always renders files with a baked in gamma of 2.2.

I have tried rendering different file formats and also different bit depths, but the images are always identical.

Can anyone help me with this?

Color Space in Shading Tab of Mantra node is just used for sampling, it does not change the actual color space of the final image

to do that you need to add vm_gamma rendering Parameter to Mantra node and change it to 2.2 or whatever, or every Image Plane has also it's own Gamma setting

but by default it should output images in linear space (gamma 1) so if your is output as 2.2 then maybe someting is set on the mantra node already

there is also separate settings for MPlay, when rendering directly to MPlay, but this setting doesn't have impact on saved file

but if you are using floating point output format like exr, you should keep the default gamma (1)

if you want to bake different gamma then add vm_gamma Rendering Parameter

To add on top of Anim's response, you can set the gamma to 2.2 in Mplay and in the ipr window.

You can set Houdini to default it's viewers to gamma 2.2. Open the Color Settings dialog by going to the main menu Edit > Color Settings...

From there go to the Color Correction tab.

Set the Gamma value to 2.2

Toggle on the various viewers and widgets to display the pixels with a gamma of 2.2

Press the Apply button to change the Houdini defaults.

Now when you open the ipr, viewport, and any spawned renders in to ip, the default display gamma will be set to 2.2

This will allow you to keep the rendered images in linear space and view them at the gamma 2.2 setting for most monitors.

To add on top of Anim's response, you can set the gamma to 2.2 in Mplay and in the ipr window.

You can set Houdini to default it's viewers to gamma 2.2. Open the Color Settings dialog by going to the main menu Edit > Color Settings...

From there go to the Color Correction tab.

Set the Gamma value to 2.2

Toggle on the various viewers and widgets to display the pixels with a gamma of 2.2

Press the Apply button to change the Houdini defaults.

Now when you open the ipr, viewport, and any spawned renders in to ip, the default display gamma will be set to 2.2

This will allow you to keep the rendered images in linear space and view them at the gamma 2.2 setting for most monitors.

Totally agree. Set your gamma in color settings, and render in floating point file format. And,of course, make sure that you gamma correct all your textures.In case your textures are 8-bit images,they are in sRGB space, you need to apply 1/gamma to them. I'm wonder , why mantra surface didn't offer gamma correction parameters for textures by default. ;)

In case your textures are 8-bit images,they are in sRGB space, you need to apply 1/gamma to them. I'm wonder , why mantra surface didn't offer gamma correction parameters for textures by default. ;)

My personal preference is that it should assume that all 8-bit images are in sRGB and treat them as such, automatically performing the linear correction. There are probably cases where the shader can make use of the fact that a particular texture is in sRGB space and do things more efficiently which I'm not thinking of. However, maybe those people should just convert their sRGB 8-bit images to FP without correction. :)