Displace and artifact

I have displaced geometry by a tiny amount. It's not a true displacement so occasionally I get white noise just on the edge of an object. I know this must be because of displacement because if I reduce it to 0 or use true displacement they go away.

Any idea whether there is another way of getting rid of these?

post-4013-130585665202.jpg

its a wild guess but if your artifacts are about the size of your pixel filter it might be that your shader is returning some wild numbers or not a numbers at all.

and this tiny displacement is causing them on edges of the object.

what rgb values you have on your artifacts?

K

does your geometry have a normal attribute when before it is rendered?

It could have been the shader i was using at the time, in another life, but I remember seeing a difference if I sent the geometry to render with the subd on the fly IF it had normals and if it didn't.

Just a thought..

-k

Hm, if this is so, maybe make sure your normals are normalized before displacement?

I tried everything. Its literally the odd pixel here and there, visible in a straight N output. Next time I see it I'll setup a simple scene to send to Support, again.

I say "again" because I have previously sent them a scene which had pixel errors related to dicing pole topology, which they fixed for 11 during beta period. This seems something else... random distribution frame to frame, more concentrated on concave areas iirc.

hmm,

do you have unique point{s} that result in unshared edge{s}?

I just went through a problem (not houdini/mantra) but the theory is sound based on various approaches to subdivide mesh that you might encounter it. If your mesh is suspect you could try a divideSOP and use the unshared edges option to see if you have something evil lurking, or you could try a subdivideSOP with a value of 1. If there is something in your mesh that is not making the subdivision on the fly happy, that SOP should prepare the mesh well for it to be acceptable. General rule of thumb.. if it looks right in a subdivideSOP then it should be fine to be subdivided on the fly.

Just a thought.

-k

I tried everything. Its literally the odd pixel here and there, visible in a straight N output. Next time I see it I'll setup a simple scene to send to Support, again.

I say "again" because I have previously sent them a scene which had pixel errors related to dicing pole topology, which they fixed for 11 during beta period. This seems something else... random distribution frame to frame, more concentrated on concave areas iirc.