Render region tool work at all? - Fixed

So I originally thought this was a problem with my last crappy system and it's equally crappy video card. I am now on my new rig however and I still can't get this tool to work. I am just trying to get the render region tool to work on anything. I get these weird errors where only a thin section will render and it's almost always black, and the normal view port is still on top of the "rendered" slice. And in other cases if I draw a large enough region, I get the image but offset down and to the left.(see attached image)

My system specs are:

i7 2600k 3.4 GHz

Nvidia Quadro 6000 Fermi

32GB Ram.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I am inclined to believe this can't be a hardware problem. Is this just a bug or something?

Thanks in advance.

post-2857-130621942765_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid James, but you need higher specs. Your rig just won't cut it.

Just joking. Can't believe how much money some people have!

Try different drivers. I've also found this feature a bit flaky in the past but usually it can be solved if you use other driver versions.

I have 260.78 and it works fine.

I'm afraid James, but you need higher specs. Your rig just won't cut it.Just joking. Can't believe how much money some people have!Try different drivers. I've also found this feature a bit flaky in the past but usually it can be solved if you use other driver versions.I have 260.78 and it works fine.

haha, Def not a baller here, I just update my rig very infrequently so when I do, I have to make sure it will last a long time (in computer terms). My last rig update was like 7 yrs ago. I forgot to mention my build was 11.0.733 as well. I guess I will just do small test renders when I need a preview. it's not that big of a deal just wanted to see if anyone else was having issues. I will try the other driver versions and let you know how it works out.

I am running 270.71 currently

Stay tuned.

Edited by hkspowers

Ok so I noticed when dl drivers that there are several different categories,

performance drivers

display drivers

partner certified drivers

I downloaded the latest certified partner driver for SideFx. 259.57 Still not working. I did not see 260.78 in the list which category was it in?

Edited by hkspowers

A long shot, but are you using color cubes / 3D LUTS? Also, I don't know if it'll make a different to the Render Region tool at all, but you might want to try the Display Options in the Render View and set them to Best Compatibility and make sure no pixel/fragment shaders are being used.

A long shot, but are you using color cubes / 3D LUTS? Also, I don't know if it'll make a different to the Render Region tool at all, but you might want to try the Display Options in the Render View and set them to Best Compatibility and make sure no pixel/fragment shaders are being used.

Not using any LUT's or color cubes. Just a fresh install of Houdini 11.0.733

Just tried all of that but still nothing. Whats interesting is that it seems to be very consistent in where it does render It's almost like it has an offset built into the region selector. I know where to draw a selection now it just has to be -45 degrees to the left of the object I am trying to render. Very weird, is anyone running windows 7 also? Maybe I should go back to XP64?

Edited by hkspowers

I have these work stations.

i7 970, 24GB

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi)

i7 950, 12GB

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi)

Region tool works fine on those.

I've seen on occasion something like what you get using an ATI Radeon 4800 series card, but ATI often released bad drivers that causes a lot of problems in Houdini. As a result I no long buy ATI cards.

The card you listed if officially supported by Houdini on Sidefx's website. So I don't know why you're having these troubles.

Hmmm. I wonder if this is an apprentice resolution render issue... Max resolution while rendering with apprentice is pal. I wonder if the width of the render region is clamped to pal width and is causing this oddness...

I say this because when I am flipped in to apprentice mode, I remember getting this non-alignment with render region and viewport.

Hmmm. I wonder if this is an apprentice resolution render issue... Max resolution while rendering with apprentice is pal. I wonder if the width of the render region is clamped to pal width and is causing this oddness...I say this because when I am flipped in to apprentice mode, I remember getting this non-alignment with render region and viewport.

This has crossed my mind as well.. Some testing might be needed.

This has crossed my mind as well.. Some testing might be needed.

Alright guys I finally got it to work. It was indeed because of the apprentice version. I did some "testing" here at home and it works fine now. I still submitted it as a bug to sidefx because thats a problem for people trying to use apprentice. Thanks everyone for your help!

Edited by hkspowers

Maybe I should go back to XP64?

I assume your Render View works ok, correct? Is it just your Render Region in the 3D viewport? Personally I've found the Render View has gotten far more usage from me so a buggy Region wouldn't send me to another OS (even if I had the choice, esp not at work).

Alright guys I finally got it to work. It was indeed because of the apprentice version. I did some "testing" here at home and it works fine now. I still submitted it as a bug to sidefx because thats a problem for people trying to use apprentice. Thanks everyone for your help!

Hmm... I guess your viewport render was at a higher resolution than is allowed by Apprentice rendering.