Particles spiderweb

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to recreate the same web animation methodology that was done in the first Spiderman, particularly the one when Peter webbed a lunch try during lunch at school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMzqvxXRXM4

I have done some research and, just to summarize, I have found that it was done by procedurally propel virtual jets of particles looking like viscous liquid, which then solidify as it made contacts with its target.

I have done my tests and I'm now facing two main problems.

The first is how to "solidify"/freeze the emission and the entire web structure as it is, once the first particles reach their targets.

The second is how can I connect points between the main filaments that determines the direction of the emission, varying the structure of the web. Right now I'm using a Sort SOP to randomize the emitted point numbers and create not ordered connections, but of course the numbers change continuously over time making everything unstable..

Does anybody know how can I solve these problems or improve this kind of asset?

Here is the file I'm referring to.

Looking forward to hear from you guys,

Thanks a lot!

post-6323-130970627995_thumb.png

Spiderweb.hipnc

Without lookign at the exact node setup right now... you might be able to add an attribute somewhere and set it initial value to the the PT. Also... in POPs is ID consistant? Id think it could be used in most places instead of PT.

An idea for the other issue might be detecting a collision or Hit on a partic when it strike the target and using that as an event to kill/rapidly dampen velocity of al lthe particles.

I would think of it more like a group of particles intially have the speed, and trail very dampened particles behind them... I don't think the webs would ever "freeze"....

sorting by ID is one way, for a more continuous structure you might consider sorting by $LIFE..

Hi guys,

thank you for your prompt ideas and sorry for my late reply.

I worked on both the velocity attribute to stop the particle emission and used the particle ID to connect the particles with an Add SOP. I think I'm getting what expected, but I have to refine the asset.

Right now I have three attraction points which splits the emission in three main flows of particles. The velocity attribute stop the emission once the first particle from any of the three flows gets to its respective attraction point and its velocity becomes zero. I was wondering how it would be possible to make this condition true at all three attraction points once the first particle reach them, and only after that stop the emission.

This is to make all the branches of the web reaching their respective anchor point before "solidify"..

Than I applied a rand function to the ID attribute in a Sort SOP as second argument of an if expression, otherwise the randomization would keep going even after the velocity becoming zero. The problem I have is that of course once the web freeze like, it also looses the random value.

Thank you for any input!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone again,

if I have a surface which I refine with clothRefine SOP and then I delete the primitive but keeping the points (which is not much different from scatter the surface of points), how can I connect the points back with an Add SOP in a way to get such a refined mesh, but with a less triangulation kind of look.

Like a thick spiderweb..

post-6323-131223033841_thumb.png

SceneFile.hipnc