Opengl Problem

Hey, everyone,

Nice day here,

I have got some problems with houdini on my laptop, my graphic card is Nvidia Quadro 1000M, I cannot search any solution so I am here for your help.

when I open houdini (11.775) and do some simulation, the viewport flickers especially when I was playing the animation.

and in most cases houdini crashed with the message

"Nvidia OpenGL Driver:

Your hardware configuration does not meet minimum specifications needed to run the application. The application must close.

Please visit http://w.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help"

if anyone could help me would appreciate.

Best regards.

This may not be the exact same problem, but it may be similar enough of a problem that my old post might be helpful.

malexander answered this for me on my intel issue, you may be able to bypass your problem with the same.

If you have Windows, you can set the environment variable HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE = 1 and Houdini will run (somewhat) with Microsoft's aging software renderer. But you're far better off with an Nvidia or ATI card in the laptop. This is essentially why Houdini's system requirements explicitly single out Intel GPUs as unsupported.

OldPost

It gets houdini to work on my system, it ain't pretty, but if I want to do real work I can use my workstation.

Edited by LaidlawFX

This may not be the exact same problem, but it may be similar enough of a problem that my old post might be helpful.

malexander answered this for me on my intel issue, you may be able to bypass your problem with the same.

If you have Windows, you can set the environment variable HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE = 1 and Houdini will run (somewhat) with Microsoft's aging software renderer. But you're far better off with an Nvidia or ATI card in the laptop. This is essentially why Houdini's system requirements explicitly single out Intel GPUs as unsupported.

OldPost

It gets houdini to work on my system, it ain't pretty, but if I want to do real work I can use my workstation.

Ben, Thanks very much for your help, that is reaally helpful.

Yesterday I also tried every setting on the Nvidia control panel, and finally found that this problem can also be solved by change power management from adaptive(default) to prefer maximum performance. it is pretty weird.

Best regards.^-^

lianyi

Ben, Thanks very much for your help, that is reaally helpful.

Yesterday I also tried every setting on the Nvidia control panel, and finally found that this problem can also be solved by change power management from adaptive(default) to prefer maximum performance. it is pretty weird.

Best regards.^-^

lianyi

It is not very weird at all :). The (excuse my language) "shitty Optimus" technique probably don't detect Houdini as being a graphics card hungry application and tries to run it using the intel graphics on the CPU hence it crashing. So when you force it to maximum performance it uses nvidia and Houdini is jolly happy.

Edited by Erik_JE