How to fracture in cubes

jim c

I've got a rectangular shape, a wall or window, and I'd like to have it break into lots and lots of cubish like shapes. The Shatter SOP seems to be great for irregular shapes, but how would I break an object into a more regular grid?

I've got a rectangular shape, a wall or window, and I'd like to have it break into lots and lots of cubish like shapes. The Shatter SOP seems to be great for irregular shapes, but how would I break an object into a more regular grid?

I believe the IsoOffset sop has some interesting cube options.... Though, are you looking for cubed or smoothed edges?

VoronoiFracture SOP with your rectangular object as the object to break up, but a grid or Box SOP with Divisions on as the source for the Voronoi points. As long as your voronoi points are on a regular grid your object should be divided into rectangles/cubes.

I believe the IsoOffset sop has some interesting cube options.... Though, are you looking for cubed or smoothed edges?

Cubed, basically I want to blow a hole in something and have the pieces be cubes, something like how the bits that blow up in Tron Legacy.

Johners' advice is good for anything that you want to break up into regular patterns. Just playing around with the input points in the voronoi fracture will return some very interesting shapes. But a regular grid point cloud will return cubes.

M