polygon/points to curve

kurisutofu

Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to convert a serie of points into a curve?

For example, let's say you have a grid with 3 points per side. I'd like to take those 3 points and transform it to bezier curve so I can change the angle and round one side of the grid. Can it be done?

I was trying to model a simple airplane and started with boxes but then, to get the rounded effect of the nose, I guess I can subdivide and move all the points one by one but I thought if we could use curve, I would get a better result faster as the points would all move together according to the angle I choose.

you can subdivide and move original(few points) while keeping display/template flag on subdivided Geometry, that way you are tweaking subdivided geo through a few points

you can easily turn few points into a curve with Add SOP (maybe then Convert SOP to bezier) if the curve is what you are after, but that curve will not have any effect on your mesh

you can subdivide and move original(few points) while keeping display/template flag on subdivided Geometry, that way you are tweaking subdivided geo through a few points

you can easily turn few points into a curve with Add SOP (maybe then Convert SOP to bezier) if the curve is what you are after, but that curve will not have any effect on your mesh

I see. That's what I was afraid of. I will go with the subdivide method then. Thank you!

Just a quick idea I had. I played with the idea of using a magnet to deform the mesh using your spline as a target for a copy node. Copy the metaballs to the spline points, then you can move the points around to deform the mesh. I am sure you could use some sort of stamp/attribute combination to get the deformation you were looking for. I haven't really gotten to mess with the magnet node enough to give too much, but i do know that it is a way to affect large numbers of points in a relatively controlled fashion.

deformWithSpline-Magnet.hipnc

Adam, I just took a look at your file and while I learned a lot, I find this method difficult to model precisely as the radius of the metaballs and the place of the points are important factors.

But you taught me a good method for building a plane's wing, thank you! (plus working with metaballs and all, you taught me a lot)

Anim, your file is great and exactly what I was looking for!

I didn't know about the magnet node and the wirecapture/deform, thank you both!

Another thing I have sometimes done depending on the situation is to mold the shape I want using a NURBS surface. Then I just use a Ray SOP to push the points on my polygons to my NURBS mold.

I will give it a try, to learn ;-)