Environment map, can we rotate it?

kurisutofu

Hello,

I've looked around on the forum and I haven't found an answer to my question. If I missed it, please redirect me to it.

As for my question, I'm trying to use environment maps. I'm on my first tests and it's working great but I noticed that the map is oriented a certain way, let's say with the sun on the left.

But what if I want the sun on the right side, can I rotate the map? And if so, how?

Also, if my environment map is a road and I wanted to place a sphere on that road, an I use the environment map or should I use another method (backplates?) ?

I've set the environment map to show in the renderer and that's close to what I want but here again I cannot decide the orientation, scale and all so my sphere is floating above the floor ...

How could I get the result I'm looking for? (backplates + comp?)

how are you using environment map?

If you place Environment Light, which is made for that, you can rotate it any way you want

If you are using Environment Box material, I believe it has parameters for rotation

If you are mapping your environment map as a constant texture on the sphere, just rotate the sphere

If you are using Environment Map VOP, it has transform space parameter which can be set to path to a Null Object which will be used to rotate your map, but that null needs to have Output transform as render space (RIB/IFD) checked (in Render tab)

or you are using other way?

how are you using environment map?

If you place Environment Light, which is made for that, you can rotate it any way you want

If you are using Environment Box material, I believe it has parameters for rotation

If you are mapping your environment map as a constant texture on the sphere, just rotate the sphere

If you are using Environment Map VOP, it has transform space parameter which can be set to path to a Null Object which will be used to rotate your map, but that null needs to have Output transform as render space (RIB/IFD) checked (in Render tab)

or you are using other way?

Wow, I didn't even know there was many ways ... I used the environment light. If I rotate it, it doesn't change the outcome ...

rotating Env Light works for me (H11.0.733), reflection on objects changes as well as lighting direction coming from hdri

I just tried in the transform tab of the environment light node and you're right, it is working ... sorry.

I was trying by moving the handle and that didn't work, I thought it was updating the transform node and so doing nothing but then I noticed moving the handle of the environment light didn't update any values.

About how to show the environment on the back, do you have an idea? I checked "render light geometry" but then except rotating, I can't change anything so the ball still seems to float. Am I doing this the wrong way?