unique rotation for each face

I'm struggling to understand how Houdini decides to affect certain things. For example, in POPs, you can use $PT in expressions, which allows you to randomize attributes (rotation etc) for EACH particle. However, in this SOPs example, it doesn't seem to work the same for $PR. Can someone please explain to me 1.) why this is and also 2.) help me come up with a solution? I am trying to have a unique rotation for each facet of the box (That I have broken up into six different faces). Thanks a bundle.

cubeBreak.hipnc

1.) why this is and also

Probably you should get familiarize with local-global-variables and attributes in Houdini. This is a good starting point.

In short local variables like $PT or $PR aren't available everywhere. There are nodes for whom these variables make sense and those they don't. Key point is whether the node is processing geometry on per primitive basis. TransformSOP for example, does not do that. PrimitiveSOP (like PointSOP) does. You can check out the list of valid local variables in node's help page.

2.) help me come up with a solution? I am trying to have a unique rotation for each facet of the box (That I have broken up into six different faces). Thanks a bundle.

Do exactly the same with PrimiveSOP instead of TransformSOP for example. For better control, animate orient/N/up vector for template points, and plug them into second input of PrimitiveSOP.