GUI problem with all text entry fields

Hey all,

I've been wondering about this for quite some time, but have not been able to find any information on it. I'm not sure if it's a bug, a preference, or just how Houdini is supposed to behave.

Whenever I click on a character input field, be it a channel or parameter value, a filename text field when doing a right click->save geometry, setting a background image under display options, etc ... pretty much any window at all in which houdini needs you to type something in, I've had this problem.

After clicking in the field and starting to type, if I don't leave the mouse pointer directly inside the text box, anything I begin to type either has no effect, or it starts to edit the value of another parameter or field somewhere else in the interface. This has been an especially big problem for me because my monitor is not especially close to my keyboard, and I often look down to type or locate keys. By the time I look back up, I realize that everything I've typed has had no effect or screwed up a parameter I didn't even know was selected.

I'm using Houdini 11 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion. I haven't been able to test in windows.

Does anyone else out here have this problem, or any other confusing UI behaviors like this?

Thanks,

Matt

Hey all,

I've been wondering about this for quite some time, but have not been able to find any information on it. I'm not sure if it's a bug, a preference, or just how Houdini is supposed to behave.

Whenever I click on a character input field, be it a channel or parameter value, a filename text field when doing a right click->save geometry, setting a background image under display options, etc ... pretty much any window at all in which houdini needs you to type something in, I've had this problem.

After clicking in the field and starting to type, if I don't leave the mouse pointer directly inside the text box, anything I begin to type either has no effect, or it starts to edit the value of another parameter or field somewhere else in the interface. This has been an especially big problem for me because my monitor is not especially close to my keyboard, and I often look down to type or locate keys. By the time I look back up, I realize that everything I've typed has had no effect or screwed up a parameter I didn't even know was selected.

I'm using Houdini 11 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion. I haven't been able to test in windows.

Does anyone else out here have this problem, or any other confusing UI behaviors like this?

Thanks,

Matt

It's safe to say that most Houdini users have run into this problem (which is especially bad if you use a tablet). I've "discovered" plenty of single-stroke key commands as a result.

If there is a way to disable this behavior that I don't know about, I would be overjoyed to learn of it.

yeah we all loose, all the fields in Houdini are contexts sensitive... it's been that way for a long while... I've seen many people complain about this...

I would emphatically love to be proved wrong if their is a switch that allows you to fix this, too

• 1 year later...

Control panel options set to Click&Tap? Where do you find this setting? :)

"Options..." button, bottom of panel, next to 'About'. It's very useful to get the "middle mouse button" working in the Sculpting tool. It does take a bit to get used to it though if you have been using Hover Click!