Eigenvector and matrix

Macha

Here's a little question that popped up this morning :) perhaps somebody knows the right answer:

Given a vector, is there a straightforward *cough* way in Houdini to find the matrix for which this vector would be the eigenvector?

Sorry, I don't understand the question. How would you do so mathematically? If you know all the eigenvectors (and corresponding eigenvalues), then it's just two matrix multiplies. Anything else, it's an under-constrained problem and I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve.

Ah, Edward, I had a feeling I needed more information than just a single vector to solve this but wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification.

I was thinking of alternative ways to scale random lines along their direction.

Just one of those random ideas that sometimes lead to something interesting. Maybe next time. :rolleyes:

Edited by Macha

I was thinking of alternative ways to scale random lines along their direction.

Hey Macha, I haven't thought about it all the way to the end to see if it works but... have you tried:

1 - get 2 points from each line;

2 - subtract the two point (i have no idea what order you'll pick), to get the direction of that line;

3 - normalize that vector;

4 - multiply that vector by your scalar factor;

5 - redraw your lines using the first point on each plus this new vector.