add gas calculate

keoni

this is a newbie to houdini asking a question.

i have seen on this forum suggestions on using gas calculate, gas diffuse to density. So when i go to

density node in apply_source , houdini gives a message that it is read only..(paraphrased)

how is it possible to dissipate smoke using these nodes. I mean where in the network should it be connected. to the merge ?

I am not an expert but as far as I know microsolvers (Gas Calculate, etc.) should be connected to the 4th (or 2nd sometimes?) input of the solver (Smoke Solver, Pyro Solver, etc). So you don't need to add them inside of the solver node but you can do it outside. Anyway if you want to modify the inside of the solver just right click on the solver node and choose Allow Editing of Contents. Hope this helps :)

have a look at this :

smoke_dissipation.hip

:)

this is a newbie to houdini asking a question.

i have seen on this forum suggestions on using gas calculate, gas diffuse to density. So when i go to

density node in apply_source , houdini gives a message that it is read only..(paraphrased)

how is it possible to dissipate smoke using these nodes. I mean where in the network should it be connected. to the merge ?

I guess its more or less related to with what purpose you want to add/modify the fields. I usually add density in the post solve to create a source (I noticed that in one of Julien's workflow). IMO at what stage of sim you need to alter things should be considered.

It also depends on the workflow to keep things clean (changing something not specific to advection/vel or any other stage wouldn't make a lot of sense?).