prototyping a look

jim c

I'm finding it it sort of slow to get a scene all set up in terms of materials/lighting/reflections, shadows, etc. Rendering can take a bit. So I'm curious if people use something like Bunkspeed, or some other "real time" renderer to prototype the look and then just adjust the Houdini as necessary to match the same settings? Is this even possible or are the materials/lighting/etc that Bunkspeed (or others like it) too different in their setup? Or is this just one of those things that you get faster at the more you practice?

isn't progressive render view provide you enough speed?

additionally you can degrade sample/quality sliders to make it even faster, all without losing overview of your materials/lighting

and if you want more quality previews on some parts there you can shift-drag area you want to focus on or use progressive render region and use higher quality settings

Edited by anim

I've also always wondered how look development is done in bigger productions. Right now I'm tweaking my lighting and shaders at the same time to balance them out and get the look I want. Unfortunately that often results in shaders that only work for that particular lighting rig and I always have to adjust for other lighting conditions even if I make the shaders physically plausible.

Do you guys have a neutral look dev lighting rig where you adjust ALL the shaders/assets to look correct by itself and in the final scenes only adjust the lighting? Are there any other tricks that can streamline look development to minimize readjusting of shaders and textures?

-dennis

Edited by dennis.weil

imho , it is a time issue ..

i have a modest experience in houdini in this context , but referring to my relatively long experience with my ' ex-3D app ' , usually ,

that is a long-involuntary-selfconscious-educational-proccess . you build and get results about different relations between shaders' and lights' parameters .

store .. and try to call those whenever the next case is demanding for one .. figuratively speaking , always .

to be more specific , in my case in jumping from ' there ' to houdini , it mostly is the innerKnowing of light intensities / falloffs and shading models gradients without pressing the Render button yet.

well . i hope this makes sense . =)

.cheers

Edited by zarti