Cracks!

ehsan parizi

Hi,

I'm working on this project that a monster is moving underground, and causes some damages(cheesy! I know ;) )

Anyway, in this scene it's destroying the ground as it's moving, it's supposed to be asphalt so I think the cracks are now similar to the patterns that we see when asphalt breaks into pieces.

If you have any idea to make it better please let me know, and also tell me if you find any difference between the second and third pass! the third one looks better from top view, but they're not that different from this camera angle!

What you see in the background is the crack map.

Cheers

Ehsan

Edited by ehsan parizi

• 9 months later...

really nice...

how do you apply a map to create the voronoi fractures

thanks

One way to add cracks to the voronoi fracture is to isolate the points at the edges and add noise to them. This works well on flat planes, since you would just distort in x and z. But not so well on 3D objects like a sphere, since you'd end up distorting off the surface. If anyone has an example of how to add edge noise to a 3D object only along the tangent of the surface, I'd be happy to hear.

Also, since you're this close to the ground, you might consider adding another layer of fracturing just to the edges of the chunks. When asphalt cracks, material is lost. That would give you a secondary level of detail. The third level of detail could easily be particles. Lastly, you'd want to add some volumetric dust.

Good luck!