Load Time

myklgrant

I'm new(ish) to Houdini and I am wondering if it is normal for Houdini 11.1 take take "forever" (10-15 minutes) to load. I'm using

the Apprentice HD version and I do not remember I taking this long to start when I used 9.5.

Thank-you for any assistance

Michael Grant

By the way I wish I has known about this forum when I first tried Houdini 9.5. I might have stuck with it.

I'll check the terminal. I've got a HP Z800 running Win 7 64 bit and it seemed excessive. I've tried running it both as user and admin (I never trust UAC)

but get identical results. It's odd, I've got Window set up to give a click sound when I close a application or process (holdover from my linux days) and while Houdini

is loading it seems to be opening and closing many many processes. This isn't a showtopper but it is so different than any other app I was hoping someone might be able to shed light on it. Thanks for your reply.

Michael Grant

The first time Houdini runs, it will generate an icon cache into your home directory. This is done by spawning the hsvg process once per icon. If it's doing this on every run, then it sounds like a permission problem where it's failing to generate the icon cache. Look for the houdini11.1 (or houdini11.0) subdirectory and make sure the user you are running it as has permissions to write to it.