pass arguments to .cmd files

MisterP

This:

hscript somescript.cmd arg1 arg2

afaik won't work.

Here is some info how to work with arguments (with source command):

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.1/commands/_guide#id297759

How about using hrender csh script that comes with Houdini? It works and is a good reference how to deal wit render scripts. Another way is to use hython, which accepts arguments like any python processes (sys.argv[n])

Thanks SYmek, it seems it is possible to pass arguments indeed! (and similar to python too)

I'm currently doing some tests on a windows platform; I suspect hrender csh may not be the most straightforward solution for me?

In regards to hython I haven't got the chance to try it yet.

I'm currently running a series of cascading .bat files to emulate a linux like enviroment on windows and to call houdini with a nice per-show per-user options, both locally and on the farm. The specific task at hand is to being able to pipe Houdini batch with a windows based farm management software, and specifically the ability to split commandprompt batch jobs

into chunks by using a single .cmd and passing different frameranges everytime, much easier that building hundreds of temporary hardcoded cmd files each time.

I'm almost done and thanks to your link to how to pass arguments I should be able to implement this in no time

Thanks again

P

This:

hscript somescript.cmd arg1 arg2

afaik won't work.

Here is some info how to work with arguments (with source command):

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.1/commands/_guide#id297759

How about using hrender csh script that comes with Houdini? It works and is a good reference how to deal wit render scripts. Another way is to use hython, which accepts arguments like any python processes (sys.argv[n])

Funny enough I'm currently wasting my time doing opposite thing, which is making Windows brew render manager Linux and Houdini friendly. Render scripts, shells, sudos, arguments, frames, and all that jazz.

Good luck!