hiding prefractured cracks

Rudinie

In Dops, one of the things i bump into often when prefracturing geometry is the visibility of the cracks.

I've made a little example where this is very clearly visible: http://vimeo.com/31491375

Now i could ofcourse render out a version without the cracks and get this fixed in Nuke or AE but that will not always work and is a shame of the effort if it can be avoided.

Does anyone have a clever solution for this?

If you apply the same shader to all the faces with out any changes, do you still see the cracks?

If you play the simulation, it looks like those exposed edges are painted on.

Are the uv's vertex or point based?

Are you using vertex normals or point normals to cusp the edges of the faces?

Post example file?

If you apply the same shader to all the faces with out any changes, do you still see the cracks?

No, the cracks are starting to get visible after the aplication of two different shaders for inside and outside. I see now that this happens right after the voronoi fracturing as well so it's not a Dop-issue.

I'm not using UV's at all in this example. I asign the shaders to the primitives, because the interior and exterior groups are primitive groups.

I'll make a cleaner file later that i can post here.

voronoi_fracture_shading_problem.hipnc

And here is the scene-file.

I hope someone can help me understand what goes wrong.

Have you modified mantra surface shader? i mean in VEX level? Because for me your shader is not working (have same error), but making new mantra surface shaders and applyng same settings its working fine.

Check attachments.

post-6941-132026628631_thumb.jpg

EDITed_voronoi_fracture_shading_problem.hipnc

Have you modified mantra surface shader? i mean in VEX level? Because for me your shader is not working (have same error), but making new mantra surface shaders and applyng same settings its working fine.

Thanks a lot. No i did not edit the shader but you helped me anyway because i found out i still had a displacement on the inside material ticked on.

I will have to multiply the displacement amount with the point depth to make sure no displacement is done near the edges.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks a lot. No i did not edit the shader but you helped me anyway because i found out i still had a displacement on the inside material ticked on.

I will have to multiply the displacement amount with the point depth to make sure no displacement is done near the edges.

Thanks again for your help.

I can be so inattentive sometimes <_<

Didnt even checked in displacement tab.

I can be so inattentive sometimes <_<

Didnt even checked in displacement tab.

It's even worse for me, i'm the one who actually enabled the displacement and i totally forgot about it.

I rendered a fixed version with slightly different settings to the sim as well:

http://vimeo.com/31533693

Edited by Rudinie