Hython

Hython is Python in Houdini. It's what Sidefx calls their Python engine, which was built with the Houdini SDK already installed.

I think this is because of the license engine. You can't run Python and then load the Houdini SDK, because the SDK won't have a license. So you have to use Hython instead.

Hython is Python in Houdini. It's what Sidefx calls their Python engine, which was built with the Houdini SDK already installed.

I think this is because of the license engine. You can't run Python and then load the Houdini SDK, because the SDK won't have a license. So you have to use Hython instead.

thank you for the reply.

I have one more question,do we need to configure something to access hou modules from python standalone or maya.I am on windows and I have already followed this link.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.1/hom/commandline

[do we need to run this inside hython??]

But no success till now.It would be really great if you can help

Edited by Hello world

I've never tried to access Houdini from inside Maya, but I don't think you can.

You should have a command line setup for Houdini which lets you run hython.exe, which requires a Houdini license to run and that's why I think you can't use another Python engine.

You can access the hou module from a standalone python script without using hython. I've never tried on windows, but on linux I just add $HFS/houdini/python2.6libs/ to the PYTHONPATH environment variable and then I can import the hou module into any pythonb script.

Howdy,

Did you have any luck with getting to the hou modules from outside?

Also, are you working on a connection for geo between Houdini and Maya? I am trying to put something together through TCP/IP, I remember seeing something on it a while back, however it wasn't fully developed or shared openly. I'm sure a lot of people on here would be interested.

Best,

Matt

thank you for the reply.

I have one more question,do we need to configure something to access hou modules from python standalone or maya.I am on windows and I have already followed this link.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.1/hom/commandline

[do we need to run this inside hython??]

But no success till now.It would be really great if you can help

It should work provided that the python distribution you're running is compiled with the same version and compiler that Houdini uses. On Windows, this will be extremely hard to do because it has to match what Maya has. For Houdini 11.X, the Python modules are compiled using Visual Studio 2005. According to http://blarg.robertkist.com/?p=8 (google is amazing!), it looks like there are NO Maya python distributions that use Visual Studio 2005. So this is probably the reason why it can't be done on Windows with Maya.

On Linux it should work because Houdini is available on a much wider range of compilers. Furthermore, Dan Bode mentioned that it's already worked for him. On OSX, Houdini uses its native python distribution and I imagine Maya would do the same. So although no one has tried it, it probably works on OSX as well.