Bgeo, FBX, or Obj Files, which is better?

bgeo (and bgeoz, the compressed version) are better formats for houdini, because they are native to houdini.

OBJ is slower to load, however you can load an OBJ sequence with Maya, Softimage, MAX, etc.

FBX is Autodesk's format, it's ok but for what I do I think it's a pain in the ass and buggy. (Houdini->Maya).

ALEMBIC is the open-source version, made for transferring point caches and materials between major 3D packages. It's only partially implemented in Houdini at the moment (there is an Alembic import SOP, with an export SOP pending (hopefully Q2 2012) ... apparently SideFX is waiting for Python Bindings .. not entirely sure what that means)).

Then there's COLLADA, don't know much about that.

Basically, stick with bgeo for when youre just caching stuff out in Houdini - but you're probably going to want to use OBJ or FBX if you want to bring it into Maya or something else, ie to render. The bgeo plugin for Maya (www.houdinistuff.com) is also great, though it seems to crap our ~ 64k polygons.

Good Luck, odforce.net is the best place to learn Houdini - some really generous and helpful people hanging out here.

Best,

Matt

Hi guys, I'm starting to study houdini a few weeks and, I have this basic question.

why bgeo files is better than obj or other files to import geometry?

what additional information are included?

Thanks

Wanderson

• 10 years later...