How to get the current time in vex shaders?

magneto

I was trying a small idea with a vex shader network to accomplish rotating UVs using Time. But I couldn't find any VOP(?) for this?

Basically I want the UVs to rotate through time. So they will be animated but inside the shader, not via keyframes. Just a simple idea I wanted to try to learn about the vex shaders, etc.

Thanks guys.

I was trying a small idea with a vex shader network to accomplish rotating UVs using Time. But I couldn't find any VOP(?) for this?

Basically I want the UVs to rotate through time. So they will be animated but inside the shader, not via keyframes. Just a simple idea I wanted to try to learn about the vex shaders, etc.

Thanks guys.

you have shading time in your global variables, doesn't it work?

you have shading time in your global variables, doesn't it work?

Thanks Ehsan, found it. I was looking at their existing globals which were separated. So one node had "surface position", the other had "parametric s coordinate".

I expected all the globals to be in the same node. So I now saw it when I added the Global variables node.

Thanks Ehsan, found it. I was looking at their existing globals which were separated. So one node had "surface position", the other had "parametric s coordinate".

I expected all the globals to be in the same node. So I now saw it when I added the Global variables node.

VEX is generally timeless. The time from globals Vop is a normalized sample time in shutter opened period. To animate anything in VEX you need to provide time parameter externally, like any other user's parameter. So you make a float, animate it with channel, but VEX sees a single value of evaluated channel at a current *Houdini* time.

Edited by SYmek

VEX is generally timeless. The time from globals Vop is a normalized sample time in shutter opened period. To animate anything in VEX you need to provide time parameter externally, like any other user's parameter. So you make a float, animate it with channel, but VEX sees a single value of evaluated channel at a current *Houdini* time.

Thanks Symek. Can't wait to try this out.