Is important understand basic math operations matrix in VEX?

wandersonp

Hey everyone.

recently I saw about matrix 4x4 and matrix 3x3, and it seems math aliens to me. But if I work in vex, python or hscript, I need to use matrix in my code, or it doesn't matter, Can I handle the specific effects without know and use matrix, just use traditional rotation translate and scale functions?

Thanks

Wanderson

Hey everyone.

recently I saw about matrix 4x4 and matrix 3x3, and it seems math aliens to me. But if I work in vex, python or hscript, I need to use matrix in my code, or it doesn't matter, Can I handle the specific effects without know and use matrix, just use traditional rotation translate and scale functions?

Thanks

Wanderson

Having intuition of the big ideas will surely help.

Inner workings like matrix inversion and formal linear algebra rules can be on back burner.

Ask question like how to rotate,scale,mirror a vector in 2d Cartesian system using 2x2 matrix. 3d will be real simple after that.

Move on to 4x4 matrix , which is used to accommodate the special case of "translation".

Understanding transformations in 3d space is key to understand perspective projection and rendering as well.

Afaik all the function describing transformations in 3d space, are based on them.

Though orientation may be represented using Euler angles or Quaternions, But in the end all boils down to a matrix form.

Cheers!!

It really isn't that hard to understand. I'll try to explain it.

There is this guy named Neo, and he's like the 1 but it seems like only Morpheus knows it except for Trinity but she's hot so it's ok. Humans are trapped in the Matrix cause computers run the planet and Zion is the last city of the humans in the real world. Zion battles the machines in the last battle to save Zion while Neo goes to the machine city to end the war, but it's all happen before and Smith is some kind of virus thing that changes the game. So it all works out in the end, except Neo and Trinity are dead. So it's not a happy ending.

It really isn't that hard to understand. I'll try to explain it.

There is this guy named Neo, and he's like the 1 but it seems like only Morpheus knows it except for Trinity but she's hot so it's ok. Humans are trapped in the Matrix cause computers run the planet and Zion is the last city of the humans in the real world. Zion battles the machines in the last battle to save Zion while Neo goes to the machine city to end the war, but it's all happen before and Smith is some kind of virus thing that changes the game. So it all works out in the end, except Neo and Trinity are dead. So it's not a happy ending.

LOL :P

Agent Hop : "Tell me, Mr.Wanderson, what good is a phone call if you are unable to speakkk...."

I think you can do a lot without involving matrices explicitly. Occasionally it's useful to build something up from the ground. If you attempt to translate papers into code then it becomes more important.

I usually place matrix-stuff in the category of "cool to know". The really interesting things use generalized n*m matrices anyway, but with vex we're limited to 4*4 (?)