Rendering in Farm, Cloud etc.

Hi,

I work for a fairly small company and we have been using Houdini for a little while now but have a project coming up that's going to require rendering scenes at 8000x1200px.

I'm trying to find us a good solution that is going to make this possible, we don't really want to invest in a farm of our own etc so have been looking for an offsite farm. Is there any that support Houdini? I've looked around and don't seem to be able to find any? i saw on sideFX forum that rebus farm were thinking of starting to support Mantra but not sure if/when this will happen.

I have tried using the amazon cloud option a few times in the past but i always seem to run into trouble and when i used it last as a test for some 8k files, all but one of the machines crashed i'm presuming because of the res, as a frame was only taking about 5mins on my MacPro so i'm not particularly confident in it's abilities.

It would be great if anyone has any experience or advice etc.

Thanks

Chris

that's strange. I've recently used the amazon ec2 cloud and my experience was great. I wasn't rendering at 8k, but I was rendering frames which averaged 30 min/frame. It's a little unnerving that you have to pay for usage if your processes hang though, so you still need to keep an eye on them. I'm not sure if it matters but I was using houdini 11.1.67 on ubuntu 10.04, and rendered to the 64bit servers.

-Greg

Hi,

I work for a fairly small company and we have been using Houdini for a little while now but have a project coming up that's going to require rendering scenes at 8000x1200px.

I'm trying to find us a good solution that is going to make this possible, we don't really want to invest in a farm of our own etc so have been looking for an offsite farm. Is there any that support Houdini? I've looked around and don't seem to be able to find any? i saw on sideFX forum that rebus farm were thinking of starting to support Mantra but not sure if/when this will happen.

I have tried using the amazon cloud option a few times in the past but i always seem to run into trouble and when i used it last as a test for some 8k files, all but one of the machines crashed i'm presuming because of the res, as a frame was only taking about 5mins on my MacPro so i'm not particularly confident in it's abilities.

It would be great if anyone has any experience or advice etc.

Thanks

Chris

hi chris,

have you considered tiling your image, i.e. breaking it up into smaller image strips and then compositing them together after each piece finishes? I guess if they are only taking 5m a frame it is not really an issue, but might help with amazon's cloud...

good luck

peace

z

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply, yep i think i may try the Cloud again and see if have any better luck. Like you say it's just that thing of setting it all going and it seeming fine and then waking up to find that only 3 frames have come out :(