Basic question.Ray Sop, Project Sop :Doing it Right

Barakooda

I read the help about the Ray and Project sop but still I`m not sure I`m understand it enough to produce the results I want .

I uploaded "exemplar" with 2 unfinished cases both produce flunked results.

IF there is kind Master who willing to "Do it right" and

also explain "why and how" for both cases

it will be very usefull for me and maybe others in the Houdini Community.

Thanks !

btw, i cant load it in linux.

picture 01 is the result from extruding the profile in picture 03.

B.

erin8.hipnc

post-6180-13255049641_thumb.jpg

post-6180-132550498241_thumb.jpg

Edited by Barakooda

I'm with michaelw, I haven't quite sorted out the profile sop and it thorws some strange errors every now and then.

I can't post a hip right now. But it seems the best approach is to keep it as beziers from the begining (font sop) this causes some other errors, but try and treat each shape as it's own, not just each letter but each curve shape, and then convert and boolean at the end. I will post something later if I get the time..

I'm with michaelw, I haven't quite sorted out the profile sop and it thorws some strange errors every now and then.

I can't post a hip right now. But it seems the best approach is to keep it as beziers from the begining (font sop) this causes some other errors, but try and treat each shape as it's own, not just each letter but each curve shape, and then convert and boolean at the end. I will post something later if I get the time..

Thanks guys I tried diffrent methods and faced lots of inconsistency.

I would happy to see how you would bevel the extrded result...

I didnt impliment it on beziers yet but you weclome to do it on the poly_or_nurbs example.

I think the buttom line, some modeling technics in Houdini are buggy needs lots of go around solutions that makes you very tired..

or

I guess, One can allways say I`m not good enough using Houdini or doing it houdini way.

:-)

P.s

New_erin06 its just to add little intrest after spending hours of playing with profile,ray extrude, sops.

you welcome to change it and ofer other ways of doing it, like doing it better using nurbs or UV displacements :-)

B.

new_erin06_try.hipnc

poly_or_nurbs.hipnc

Edited by Barakooda

I really have had a ton of trouble with the font sop in the past. I think the thing to do is go into illustrator and export the vectors from there.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/io/ai

I can't test it, but I remember getting much better results with text this way.

Thanks, you right , I have some other tests with EPS files.

still not sure if it always makes life easier.

:-)

The reason I started with font was that in linux i couldnt export importable EPS or other format to Houdini

http://inkscape.org/

do you have any solution for that ?

If i`m not wrong in some old versions of inkscape its possible to export old Ai files, from some reasons they stop support it.

Seems again i will have to use again Blender --> Houdini

Blender can import SVG files, I wish Houdini would support it too.

Edited by Barakooda