Ray Jitter

3dbeing

The ray sop jitter scale is not to descriptive of what exactly it does...

What is the range of the jitter? Anyone know?

cheers,

-=3db

The ray by default is cast along the normal. The jitter scale allows to deviate from that. This is useful when it is combined with multiple samples. Like that you can get like an average distance on an irregular surface for example.

The ray by default is cast along the normal. The jitter scale allows to deviate from that. This is useful when it is combined with multiple samples. Like that you can get like an average distance on an irregular surface for example.

Right, but a value of 1 gives me...? for instance if I wanted a +-40 degrees of jitter, would this be jitter amount = 40? And this is jitter across both axis? I couldn't figure out a way to test it to tell me exactly what the vector deviation is.

Right, but a value of 1 gives me...? for instance if I wanted a +-40 degrees of jitter, would this be jitter amount = 40? And this is jitter across both axis? I couldn't figure out a way to test it to tell me exactly what the vector deviation is.

then set jitter to ~0.7

My bet is angle in radians and it works only 0-1.

Had some stupid rnd) Projected about 100k sample rays to plane. set Combiner to longest ray, Jitter to 1. And then acos(projected_dist/longest_dist) and got ~56-57