Light shader, how to generate shadowmaps

haggi

For learning reasons I try to create my own lights. Writing a light shader worked fine and so did the shadow shader which produces raytraced shadows. But how can I create shadowmaps automatically? If I use a houdini light which uses shadowmaps, these are automatically created. How can I do it for my own shader to be able to use shadowmaps?

For testing I used a v_rayshadow with the z-Depth option for depth map shadows. Here it is the same, the shadowmap is not automatically generated. "Auto generate Shadow Maps" is turned on in mantra render node.

For learning reasons I try to create my own lights. Writing a light shader worked fine and so did the shadow shader which produces raytraced shadows. But how can I create shadowmaps automatically? If I use a houdini light which uses shadowmaps, these are automatically created. How can I do it for my own shader to be able to use shadowmaps?

For testing I used a v_rayshadow with the z-Depth option for depth map shadows. Here it is the same, the shadowmap is not automatically generated. "Auto generate Shadow Maps" is turned on in mantra render node.

This is a soho thing. Basically once soho encounters a "hlight" object with generate shadow maps parameter turned on, it triggers appropriate snippet in the ifd file. I usually overwrite Houdini's own OTL to add new functionality, so I don't have this problem. Anyway, take a look on the end of ifd.py and wranglers/HoudiniLightIFD.py in $HH/soho directory.

hth,

skk.

This is a soho thing. Basically once soho encounters a "hlight" object with generate shadow maps parameter turned on, it triggers appropriate snippet in the ifd file. I usually overwrite Houdini's own OTL to add new functionality, so I don't have this problem. Anyway, take a look on the end of ifd.py and wranglers/HoudiniLightIFD.py in $HH/soho directory.

Thanks, great info.