Houdini crashing when importing particles

Vivo3d

hello guys,

this is my first post/thread in this forum. I read this is the best place for houdini and so here I am. I'm having a problem while playing a naiad particle system in houdini and get the following error:

a memory allocation error occurred probably due to insufficient memory

Fatal error: segmentation fault

my question is, is this error related to my system memory (16gb and houdini only uses 8gb when I get the error message) or to my gpu memory (1gb geforce). I read somewhere else that segmentation errors are due to gpu memory but I want to be 100% sure before I get a new gpu or system memory.

thanks a lot for your help and tips

dan

• 1 year later...

I am having a separate issue, but it's giving me the same error message.

Houdini has worked flawlessly on my desktop for months, and yesterday it crashed during some easy modeling, and it won't start back up. I have tried Houdini 12.1.33 and Houdini 12.1.185 (both apprentice), and they give me the same error.

"A memory allocation error occured, probably due to insufficient memory"

CPU: i7 2600k 3.4ghz

GPU: ATI Radeon 6990

I've restarted and reinstalled. I threw support an e-mail, but if anyone have experience with this, please let me know. Is there a magic temp-folder I can just delete and reset, that'd be nice.

When support gets back to me, I'll post the answer here.

Thanks,

- Johan

Edited by Johanvfx

Look for the houdini12.1 directory in your user directory ... ie. c:\Users\username\Documents\houdini12.1 ... try renaming houdini12.1 to houdini12.1.old and then start Houdini

... If that doesn't work, maybe your video driver got updated and it's not liking that?