Surface Uber Shader

slayerk

Another question - how would one go about modifying the asset to support the opengl viewport? For basic stuff like diffuse color, spec, etc? Is this possible with a shader like this?

Yes, it is possible. You can add OGL parameters to shader. And create relative references on parameters on shader. But it will be do always after recompile shader. I think it can be automate or found other realisation. Need read about it.

I'm creating a material that has hte surf shader, plus add displacement support. HOwever I can't get the opengl options to kick in. In Edit Parameter Interface, I fould the part about the OGL parameters. But when I add them they have no effect in the viewport. Any suggestions?

I'm creating a material that has hte surf shader, plus add displacement support. HOwever I can't get the opengl options to kick in. In Edit Parameter Interface, I fould the part about the OGL parameters. But when I add them they have no effect in the viewport. Any suggestions?

Most likely you need to add OGL to the Render Mask parameter in the Operator Type Properties (Should read "VMantra OGL" without the quotes).

Just tried that. No luck. The default settings is "*", soI would hav assumed that those would get picked up. But even adjusting it to "VMantra OGL" doesn't make any difference.

Yeah, I tried too. You can create reference link to diffuse texture. See example in image.

Ole, it is good idea to will automate creating OGL parameters.

post-7035-0-59817400-1350403100_thumb.pn

post-7035-0-39458400-1350403193_thumb.pn

post-7035-0-16830000-1350403209_thumb.pn

Another potentially silly question. If we're trying to use the shader for glass like materials, how does one control the IOR? Is there an inner or outer IOR setting like you have in the default mantra surface material?

No. ETA value is outside IOR divide by inside IOR. Example: AIR/GLASS = 1/1.44 = 0.69444 Edited by notawhale

Weird, so I tried add some simple additions to the refract_v01.interface file.

#pragma label refract_Inner_IOR "Inner IOR"

But when it compiles it gives me the following:

WARNING (2003) "interface/refract_v01.interface" line 28: Bad #pragma instruction

right where new label is defined. Is there something else you need to do? I've looked at the code and doesn't seem like the refractGatherETA variable is defined any place special (which is what I modeled this on).

I got this part to work by declaring the variable in the code. Which makes sense. However I'm at a loss as to where the refractGatherETA is declared - I did a search for it and can't find a declaration anywhere, either in the shader code, or in the includes.

Ha! You're right, I missed it because of how it was defined. OK thanks so much for that. I have implemented something in code and got it to work ( I think). At some point today I'll upload a zip file here for others to look at or try.

Here's a render of the earlier model I had mentioned. I broke into takes, so that I could adjust the reflection blurring in post, rather than trying to fight in camera. I think this came out OK, but I'd be curious to see what others think. This keeps the render time managable and includes volumetric effects for the lights.

post-4235-0-27036500-1350620067_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice work, and it's great to see so much interest in it!

I am having trouble getting this to render with PBR though.

I have tried both V .63 from Orbolt, and V.69 from here.

Another small point, is that I cannot see the installed shader in the material pallet.

Are these known limitations, or am I doing something wrong?

TIA

-M

Edited by McArt

• 2 weeks later...

Great shader)! But how to export Fresnel and shadows and vel?

I don't use this passes because MB in RHEYES renderers are fast, i don't use shadows because correct environment light separately and add direct light to it (that is the way to colorize shadow areas). also dont use a fresnel but I will be add them soon.