SSS on petal problem

Hi guys!

I have been trying to fix the SSS problem on my flower petal for a couple of days now with no luck. :( And I am not too familiar with shaders, so I am posting the question here hoping to get some help!!!

I used a software called xfrog to model my flower blossoms. Instead of modeling out the actual shape of petals, it uses planes, then applies an opacity map to shape out the petals. However, I am suspecting this method of modeling might be the culprit for the problems I ran into while doing SSS.

As you see from my attached images, after I generated point cloud, and applied SSS to my petals, I see weird rectangular problem areas on my petals. I see that the pt cloud I generated was based on the rectangular petals geometry of which might have caused the weird problems during SSS(don't know why the opacity map didn't stop this from happening....).

To confirm my suspicion, I just roughly altered the original geometry, and deleted off some rectangular overlapped areas for a test (see attached picture and files). Then here comes another problem: the problem still exists... :( Now I have no idea what exactly is causing the weird rectangular spots on my petals.

I really hope there is a way to fix this without remodeling all the flowers I made :(

Thank you in advance!!

post-5585-132840194624_thumb.jpg

sss problem.rar

Edited by jesschaco

hmm......what should I do to include my opacity map in the point cloud generation though?

the point cloud generation would have to include your opacity i think. also, the renders seem to be where the polygons have intersected.

i am curious about your normals direction.

maybe they are reversed?

fumbling around with this i was not able to correct the problem.

sss in the mantra uber shader does not use opacity when generating its pointcloud.

also, i am embarassed to say i also do not get a leaf shaped alpha.

i lack the knowledge... but i would like to use the opacity texture map when generating the alpha, then after the visible surface area has been calculated, generate a pointcloud for the sss based on the visible portion of the geometry.

i've attached my failed attempt at this.

leafsss.zip

Hi,

IMO it's a waste of time to use this type of SSS for something without observable or actual thickness, especially point cloud based sss!

This kind of thin translucency is best served by a simple double sided diffuse shader... The end result will look more accurate (and without the pc headache) than actual SSS because that stuff is very poorly suited to very thin or no thickness geometry.

cheers

S

Thanks for the advise Serge!

Hi,

IMO it's a waste of time to use this type of SSS for something without observable or actual thickness, especially point cloud based sss!

This kind of thin translucency is best served by a simple double sided diffuse shader... The end result will look more accurate (and without the pc headache) than actual SSS because that stuff is very poorly suited to very thin or no thickness geometry.

cheers

S