HOT for h12

thom

Hi,

So we've got VEX_Ocean.so working here on Linux Fedora 14 without too much code intervention. We basically just compile a slightly modified VEX_Ocean.C.

The hazzle when trying to get HOT to work for H12 are SOP_Ocean and SOP_Cleave, and so we simply remove all references to SOP_Ocean.so and SOP_Cleave.so from the makefile ( SOP_Ocean.so you don't need since you can use the VEX_Ocean.so in a VOP SOP ). Also, rather than using 'python setup.py bdist' we just run 'make'.

Recipe:

1. Check out the hot from google code. I believe the latest is 1.0rc9.

2. Run the 3rdparty/build_linux.sh

3. Remove the SOP_Ocean.so and SOP_Cleave.so references from the Makefile.

4. Replace VEX_Ocean.C with the one attached.

4. Type 'make' from the src directory.

5. Copy the compiled VEX_Ocean.so to the correct dso directory.

Sorry for the tar.gz but I was not allowed to upload a .C file.

The attached code is based on Christian Schnellhammers modifications to Andrew Whitehouse original sourcecode.

- Hans Joergen Kjaernet

VEX_Ocean.C.tar.gz

Edited by Hans Joergen
  • Like 1

VEX_Ocean.so works fine, thanks. But SOP_Ocean.so pulls down Houdini.

VEX_Ocean.so didn't work for us until we commented out SOP_Ocean and SOP_Cleave, for reasons unknown to me. Having VEX_Ocean work is enough for us, as you can have the VEX_Ocean do the same thing as the SOP_Ocean by inserting it into a VOP_SOP. In that sense, we don't really need SOP_Ocean.

Edit: Just saying this for those who scour through the forums looking for a quickfix.

- Hans Jørgen

Edited by Hans Joergen

5. Copy the compiled VEX_Ocean.so to the correct dso directory.

sorry, I am confused with the last step, where the compiled VEX_Ocean.so should be after the make, is it the VEX_Ocean.o inside the src directory? and which one is the correct dso directory?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After installing the binaries I can only see the HOcean eval inside VOP SOP not the Ocean SOP is that Correct?

hi,

if the dll is loaded correctly the ocean SOP node should appear as "hocean". what build version of houdini do you use?

does the vop eval node work?

cheers

hi,

if the dll is loaded correctly the ocean SOP node should appear as "hocean". what build version of houdini do you use?

does the vop eval node work?

cheers

Thanks for the feedback,

The eval node is working, but like I said I dont see the Ocean SOP, any ideaa what can be causing this?

I am using build 581.

Edited by Mzigaib

Win 64, H 12.0.581 here and I have both the VOP and SOP. The Sop is called "HOcean"....you don´t have it?

Inside Houdini I can only see the HoceanEval vop not the SOP Ocean and when I extract the rar for instalation I can see the otl file, the dll file and the VEXdso file, I wonder if there is some file missing.

And I am using windows.

Edited by Mzigaib