Irregular/jaggy fracture edges

Hi all,

I want to achieve a fracture effect that has jaggy edges (not straight edges generated by voronoi fracture) as images below.

post-7901-133371209583_thumb.jpg

post-7901-133371210433_thumb.jpg

I tried to follow the way they used in this link:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=117754&sid=7af854dbb72ab84da86747eae43cf35f

post-7901-133371208459_thumb.jpg

I can achieve the jaggy edges but the problem is that the noise seems to be applied to all direction, I only want the noise on the X or Y planes of the object coordinates (cos the object was rotated, not in the original position). Any suggestion on how to do that or any other way to achieve the jaggy fracture edges. Thanks

Hi Tanda,

what do you mean the plane is rotated? Could you apply noise before its rotation? I think it would be better, anyway I prepared a simple scene just to let you know how I'd work with a problem similar to yours.

In the VOPSOP there are nodes, their colors are for:

- GREEN: are the aanoise node, that you know, and the FIT node. Because the noise has an output between -0.5 and 0.5, as written in the help, you can enhance the displacement of points with the FIT node, for example you can put (-5, 5), that means if noise has an input value of -0.5, the output value will be -5. The fit node is very useful, remember it! ;)

- RED: are the nodes, I think, you're looking for. Because the POINT POSITION is a vector, than means it has three values and you can work them only with a VECTOR TO FLOAT node, take what you need and recreate a vector with a FLOAT TO VECTOR node as input for the new POINT POSITION. As you see, I take the position, the X and Z are displaced with a noise, while the Y component doesn't change, in fact the grid is shifted on Y axis because the transform node, not because of any noise.

- YELLOW: it's a PARAMETER node that gives you the mechanism of changing, well, parameters in the VOPSOP, in fact if you go out the VOPSOP node, you'll see a MAX DISPLACE parameter that changes how much noise you apply to X-Z position of points, but if you see better, it changes the range of applied noise in FIT nodes.

I hope that was you're problem.

Happy magic!

simpleDisplaceGridPoints.hipnc